• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can you make invitro pots?

Is there hydroponic gel you can buy and make up pots yourself? Got a new scape coming up in the next 4/6 weeks. I tend to throw out loads of plants and never seem to have enough when I want some. Just wondering if certain plants that will grow out of water could maybe be put into yoghurt pots or similar in some hydro gel and just left on a window sill this time of year? How long would they keep for if possible?

Hi
Dont know about hydroponic gel but i keep mine spares in propagator with universal plant compost and most plants do good.Just keep them out of direct sun light as will burn them
Regards Konsa

If you haven't got a propagator, you can put each pot in a plastic bag to keep the plant humid. Or make a cover out of a cut-down pop bottle.

Thanks, I was actually thinking more about actually growing them in the gel for a while rather than just keeping them alive. I could do the propagator thing was just trying to avoid soil for aesthetic reasons.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

That's what made me think, my daughter likes jelly in little clear pots and the other day I ordered some in vitro plants from eBay. Thought hold up, why can't I take some cutting and put in the small pot and next time I'm setting up a tank I have some good to go in vitro plant. Only thing missing is the gel.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Tried it...and failed, agar is the perfect medium for mould, it is the medium that is used to grow bacteria samples in labs. Smelt really foul after a week and the cuttings died.

For in vitro everything needs to be sterile, really sterile, to start with. Propagator is the way to as it is easier.

I've done this before, water saving gel (Hydrogel) is what you want. It tends to come as small crystals than powder. If the grain size is too large (big crystals when hydrated) you can grind it up (before hydration) that way when hydrated it will be more homogenous like what you get in the invitro pots. You can add ferts to the water you hydrate the crystals with. I've tried this with frogbit sealed in a tub (sold to lfs), got a couple of weeks longevity before it went south in the pot, I wasn't using an aseptic technique though other than boiling the water for the ferts before hydrating the crystals, didn't sterilise the tubs either (wasn't expecting longevity as they sold before my sealed test sample expired). If I was doing tissue culture proper I would 100% follow an aseptic technique. You can find this stuff in b and screw it (that's where I found my hydrogel).

:)

Could you use these??
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5000-Bea...745162?hash=item2f1a2eea4a:g:5j4AAOSwMvtZWrEL

upload_2018-6-2_1-32-58.png

Hi
I think those are good at absorption of moisture but not made to give it away when needed.U can use few as an indicator of moisture tho :)
Regards Konsa

Hi AWB
Probably far easier to use some Tropica soil or Colomba Flora base plant soil as I have done here!
I think this is a 2 litre Lock & Lock container. I've even used a Candy Floss container:D;) ...Cryptocoryne sp undulates red is within the container.
There is a couple of Push fit 6mm Bulkhead fittings on the lid...with some air tubing to let some air in, these are not needed...just open the lid occasionally every few days!
I've kept this pot going all through the winter time previously!
P1050359 (Mobile).JPG

P1050362 (Mobile).JPG

P1050360 (Mobile).JPG

hoggie

A while back I was considering getting into this and found these blog posts that were really helpful. One of the few resources I've found that explains how someone could do this closer to the hobbyist level than in a full blown lab. Someday I want to try it, but I think I'll wait until I can maybe take a class at my local community college, and when I can afford to eat a few hundred dollars loss if I mess up.

http://kryptokoryne.aquaticscape.com/2010/02/26/cryptocoryne-tissue-culture-micropropagation-part-1/
http://kryptokoryne.aquaticscape.com/2010/03/29/cryptocoryne-tissue-culture-micropropagation-part-2/

Back