• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recommend me a Temp Controller

PBM3000

I appear to be having issues with my DIY inline heater in that the temperature seems way out. My tank is at 25c yet the heater is at 20c.

I'm assuming that as the thermostat is placed near the neck of the inline unit it's being affected by not being in the 'main flow'. See photo (inlet is at the rear as you view it).

I think, therefore I'm going to have to regulate this with a temp controller - what do you recommend that's cheap, easy and accurate with an unobtrusive probe in the tank?

966E82A8-3F2B-4DD4-8E7B-F66205EA4B8B.jpeg

I believe you can "calibrate" that heater by moving the red pointer thingy.

In my experience it is quite normal to have to adjust heaters to a different temperature to get what you want. My cheap inline heater is set to 30ºC, but the aquarium stays at 25ºC (and it's a 300W heater in a 20L tank).

Many people use temperature controllers, set your heater to say a suitable safety maximum (looks like yours is any way ;)) and use the controller to turn the heater on an off at the desired temperature.

If reliability and "doing it right and doing it once" is your thing then a suitable controller is:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/on-off-temperature-controllers/1241045/

But you will also need a suitable NTC type temperature probe. One below is design to be inserted in a pipe/tank.
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/1241082/

However searching Ebay (and China) reveals much cheaper versions, but plenty of options.

Thanks so far. I didn't really want to go down this path but I gather that it's far safer to regulate the heater with a controller anyway. I've been looking at the Aqua Medic ones as although it's pricey, it's pretty much plug and play (I don't want to go through the ball-ache of building a system). I don't need a dual socket as I don't have a cooling fan but it'll provide a future option I guess for hot summers.

Anyone else use them?

Take the VAC 220 version..
https://www.banggood.com/XH-W3001-2...ermostat-Control-Switch-Probe-p-1222330.html?
But i would go with an inline probe (thermistor).. :)
https://www.banggood.com/NTC-10K-2M...robe-Cable-for-TEMP-Controller-p-987736.html?

Than drill a hole in the pipe in front of the heater and tape M8 thread in the hole.. Some teflon tape or an o-ring what suites you best. screw the probe in the pipe..
Why in front of the heater, because you want a temp reading comming from the tank, not going towards the tank.

That way you'llnever have an issue with for example the probe falling out of the tank measuring the invironmental temp instead and keep heating to the max set temp from the heater. Or if for what ever reason flow stops, than the tank cools but the heater keeps heating.. all things you don't want. Thus, place the sensor like this in line next to the heater in the coolest water comming from the tank.

inineH.jpeg

:) You be done under $ 10,- and these thermostats realy are OK.

Last edited:
Cheers. Really would prefer a simple plug n play option. I take it as there are no howls of derision the Aqua Medic one is fine?

Probably, if it is designed for that, why not.. :) Only thing is if you pput the probe in the tank, than still set the temp of the heater inline not to high.. Than the buildin thermostat will be your backup safety, if flow stops or if accidelntly the in tank probe falls out.

I used to run the aqua medic twin controller with a schego 600w heater on my marine tank and 6 cooling fans and it stayed constantly at 25c so thumbs up here for the aqua medic controller.
Now I use 2 300w heaters just as a failsafe in case one fails I will still have heat.

If you are interested I have a Hydor 500w DIGITAL thermostat that I am not using anymore and will be selling. Works perfectly and in perfect condition. PM me if interested

By the way.. You should never place a construction like that horizontal.. It traps air/gas.. You lose heater surface heating air instead of water.. thus loosing heater capacity..

Airtrap.jpg

Place it vertical.. :)

Back