• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Buce holes in leave

Tom Michael

image.jpg
image.jpg
Hello all

I have planted tank, which has been generally doing well, co2 injected, EI, 6 hours photo period, seemingly good co2 and flow (spaybar and in-line) all plants doing well...with the exception of my buce. Was fine for two weeks but over the last two days I have seen rather large holes in many of the leaves, not pin holes.

If I add more co2 I gas the fish. I guess it could be a nutrition deficiency, however I would have thought other faster growing stems would show first?

Any ideas?

Bucephalandra do not like changing conditions and they are prone to leaf holes and melt even when according to EI all nutrients are available, I have been in you're exact position. There shouldn't be any deficiencies if you're doing EI but there is a caveat to this when it comes to the traces, depending on what your pH is for the majority of the time it could be out of range for the trace you are using, if your pH is above 7 for the majority of the time then EDTA trace may not be the best to use. I swapped to doing 50/50 EDTA Trace and Iron DPTA and saw much improvement in mine, I also dose Canna Rhizotonic weekly which really help Buce to proliferate roots. Holes are less melt is less but it still happens, not yet found what makes Buce really happy but I'm slowly doing my best to find out.

That's helpful thanks. I have super hard water - PH is 8 plus.

Sorry what is EDTA and DPTA?

I do occasionally spot does iron also

I have a similar problem with my bucheps too and it has just started. there has not been any change in any conditions.

IMG_20180525_152513.jpg
IMG_20180525_152504.jpg
IMG_20180525_152458.jpg
IMG_20180525_152454.jpg
IMG_20180525_152446.jpg
IMG_20180525_152437.jpg

Any structural deformities in plants, such as holes or deformities are caused by a CO2 shortfall and has nothing to do with nutrients.

Cheers,

Thus it likely is a transplant shock and is the plant in transitioning stress shedding older leaves with structuraly higher CO² independency. It might just go on for all older leaves. That's what i experienced with a rather large very well matured Buce transfered from a high tech to a low tech. Completely busting my mythical theory grow 'm big in high tech and than transfer to low tech. Anyway, every single leaf died off, but the rhizome came back with new leaves addapted to the lower CO² but staying significantly smaller. At least till now they are, can't tell where it ends, buce is to darn slow, might need an extra year to reach compairable size again. :) Dunno.

And dunno if this goes for all buce, for the Sekadua in my case it certainly did..

Oh btw experienced the excact same issue with transfering java fern from high to low tech. Mean while, the Crypt that is prone to melt if transfered did remarkably well.

Go figure.. Experience can be very personal and or sp. depended whatever.. Nothing is written in stone it seems.

Good luck.. :thumbup:

Thanks for replies.
Related to CO2, I am just wondering why it has just started to happen now. I have not changed any thing recently. The tank was on auto mode for a long time. And deformities have started recently. I am not saying my CO2 distribution is OK. I will try to improve it.

For transition, the leaves that show the deformities are the new leaves and plants have been in the tank for along time.

Thanks for replies.
Related to CO2, I am just wondering why it has just started to happen now. I have not changed any thing recently. The tank was on auto mode for a long time. And deformities have started recently. I am not saying my CO2 distribution is OK. I will try to improve it.

For transition, the leaves that show the deformities are the new leaves and plants have been in the tank for along time.
Hi,
Have the plants grown since day 1?
If yest then everything has changed as more plant tissue requires more food, which requires more CO2 in order to make food.

Cheers,

Back