• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Roma 200 journal.

Thin bleach (ie no additives) - I use maybe 250ml/10litres water
Just soak overnight, rinse thoroughly, then air dry (or treat with Prime etc)

Thank you for that alto, stones are soaking now.

The stones around the wood look great, and good call on the the mix of sizes, but... the larger stones in the sand area look a bit evenly placed and unnatural. It looks like you've spread them out neatly with 2" between each stone :) I would tend to keep the bigger ones closer to the centre and let it fade out into the smaller ones. To make them more random, have few in a group, a few scattered - be less even with the spacing - have a few smaller stones near a big one. At the moment none of the scattered stones touch another stone - which makes them look deliberately placed.

Here's a quick photoshop - it's quite a subtle difference but I think makes it look more natural:
rocks.jpg

Plants ordered for Wednesday.

Crypt Petchii x2
Crypt Wendtii Green x2
Crypt Balansae x2
Crypt Nevellii x1
Crypt Lucens x1
Microsorum Trident x2

Also ordered some aquascaper plant food and root capsules.

WP_20180528_17_42_52_Pro.jpg
there ya go, was trying with another big rock on the left.

WP_20180528_17_46_18_Pro.jpg
without the big rock

edit: sorry for reflection.

Last edited:
I would say they currently look like something separate/added on circling your main area of interest. You'd want at least one big rock mixed in with the main wood/gravel area, and the gravel to extend out and around any outlying rocks. Branches caught in on rocky area of river makes more natural sense than separate rocks in sand circling branches.

Question I was considering flooding the tank today so I can get the equipment sorted and get the temp stable before the plants come tomorrow.

If I wanted to start the cycle too would I need to add a source of ammonia today also or would using water from my current tank and seeding the filter too be ok?

It depends. You can fish-less cycle, which is adding ammonia daily until sufficient bacteria develop to use it up, or you can plant heavily and stock lightly (with seeding the filter from an existing tank big a bonus). The bacteria need something to feed on so also factor in when you plan on adding the fish in. Another option is to run the new filter in your existing tank.

It depends. You can fish-less cycle, which is adding ammonia daily until sufficient bacteria develop to use it up, or you can plant heavily and stock lightly (with seeding the filter from an existing tank big a bonus). The bacteria need something to feed on so also factor in when you plan on adding the fish in. Another option is to run the new filter in your existing tank.

So there is no other way apart from either adding ammonia or adding a few fish.

Hi all,
If I wanted to start the cycle too would I need to add a source of ammonia today also or would using water from my current tank and seeding the filter too be ok?
So there is no other way apart from either adding ammonia or adding a few fish.
You don't ever need to add ammonia, you can just plant the tank. Have a look through <"Bacteria/biological starters">, if you have time the whole thread (and linked threads) are worth reading.

There aren't many micro-organisms actually in the tank water, but it you take some filter media from your other tank, and squeeze it out (or rinse it if it is sintered glass etc.) and then put your new filter sponge into the mulmy water and swirl it around and you will have effectively seeded the new sponge. You can also transfer a small amount of substrate from the old tank to the new tank.

cheers Darrel

Back