• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oak leaves

I'd say they would be fine for use. I guess I must be lucky...or unlucky, depending on your point of view. There are a number of old oaks where I live and the leaves collect in a dead spot at the end of my house's side return. I'm forever having to clear them up.

o_O Crikey, 25 quid for 400 leaves, are you kidding...they're pita :rolleyes: I had to clear my gutters out the other day because of them :meh:
There must be at least a couple of hundred quid here...:)

IMG_0314.jpg

To be honest Tim, you should have bagged some and next time I pay you :)

I received mine. They were well packed but the leaf quality isn't that great. It will do....I put 100 leaves in the tank. I just wanted some more cover for my kuhli loaches because the tank isn't planted at all and they seem to have confined themselves to the driftwood area, plus a bit of change for the fish and perhaps tannin. I think majority of my fish are black water so they might benefit.

Also, @Tim Harrison has kindly offered to send me another pack of oak leaves for free. Thank you Tim :) You're such a gentleman.

And my intention is to kindly return the favor by paying the retail price I paid for mine next time.
It is such a waste throwing the leaves considering some of us don't have easy access to things like that and pay money. I'd rather pay someone that will re-invest them into the hobby :p

If anyone is interested in breeding shrimp on a mass scale, then a leaf litter tank is the best ;)

There's just a few leaves still hanging at the surface and the rest is that brown patch in the middle of the tank. 100 leaves doesn't look like much at all...;)

They're all in the middle because that's the way the flow works in a round tank, only that I don't have a drain there like in aquaculture systems.:rolleyes:

20180518_204529.jpg

Always collect my own from countryside and for a mate who has a fish house, easy to do as they stay on the trees in situ for longer than most trees. Some have very glossy type leaves I think they are Turkish Oaks rather than native Oak, only ever rinse them without issue maybe I should be more careful

I never had an issue just rinsing and putting them in. But the last time I collected some I had to store most of them and decided to actually microwave them after washing. They got crispy :lol: They still did the job in the tank afterwards.

Yesterday after the water change I was watching some of my harlequin rasboras doing a dance......I wonder if the leaves did something for that to happen or I just hadn't observed them before.....They inhabit the opposite side of the tank so its hard seeing what they're up to.....

The water change with leaves maybe the Hareqiuns are reacting with breeding behaviour? They are similar conditions in the wild to South American tetras in tannin water

Back