• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish selection for my new tank

Sirkavu

Hi All!!!

So, I am still cycling my tank BUT already thinking on what fishes I would like and I want your opinion and help.
My tank is a Juwel 180l low tech :)

I was thinking on getting the below
Bosemani Rainbow fish - 4/5
Neon Tetras - 10
Black Mollies - 4
Emerald Rasboras - 5
Swordtails - 4
Blue fin Nothobranch - 1 or 2
Shrimps - still don't know which ones to pick

I would like to play with the colours and I am honestly in love with the Rainbow fish :D

Yet, I am aware they are all hard water with a pH between 7-8, all but the neon tetras that are soft water.

1- Would Neon tetras adapt to hard water?
2 - For now, my water is showing soft (I'm using the API test :rolleyes::D I know), so how can I make it hard if I need to? Or change the pH if needed?
3 - Do you think it is a good choice of fishes? I won't get them all as I don't want to overcrowd the tank :D

Hi and welcome.
You shouldn't worry about your PH and Hardness unless U planing to breed some fish with more spesific requirements as nowadays a lot fish are tank bread and have adjusted to wide range if conditions.Fish like stability rather than chasing some ideal water parameters.All U need to do is keep your tank clean and change water regularly and you will be fine.
Regards Konsa

@Konsa Hey Konsa! Thanks for the welcome :D

Good to know that, I was a bit worried about it before haha
Definitely gonna make sure tank is clean and the WC are being done ;)

Thank you

Hi. :)
If the Emerald Rasboras you have in mind are Celestichthys erythromicron, they are tiny and timid, and they won't get on well with larger, boisterous fish like rainbows ans swordtails. They are commonly traded under that name, but there used to be another fish in the hobby called Emerald Rasbora, but I haven't seen any for years. Can't remember the scientific name either.

Hi @sparkyweasel yeah I think that’s the ones. When I first searched I found some emerald colour ones - but decided not to get them.

What shrimps would you advice? Amano? Cherry?

I wouldn't get the rainbows, beautiful fish but get far too big for a 180l I learnt myself with that one, had to move them to a five foot where they got massive. Also the kill is are annuals so won't live very long at all. You would be better off with larger shoals of the smaller fish such as neons. Looks a lot more natural and the fish would prefer it.

Cheers

Conor

I am of the less is more school. A big school of one fish looks better than lots of small groups.

You also don't have any bottom dwellers so the tank would be fairly busy in the middle. I think a school of bottom dwellers and a large school of middle dwellers makes a good starting point. You could then add another species or a pair of centrepiece fish.

I have the Juwel Rio 180 and have
9 Sterbai Cory
14 Black Neon Tetra
8 Male Guppies
4 Otos
8 Amano Shrimp
4 Nerite snails

I am looking to add more black neon tetras but if I was to start over I would keep the cories, swap the black neons for normal neons and up them to 30+, loose the otos and guppies and add one other species.

I wouldn't get the rainbows, beautiful fish but get far too big for a 180l I learnt myself with that one, had to move them to a five foot where they got massive.

Cheers

Conor
Hey Conor, thanks for the advice. I really like their colours but I’ll leave for when I get a bigger tank :D

Hi
There are few small sized pseudomugil sp that U can try instead .They are lovely fishes.
Regards Konsa

I am of the less is more school. A big school of one fish looks better than lots of small groups.

I am looking to add more black neon tetras but if I was to start over I would keep the cories, swap the black neons for normal neons and up them to 30+, loose the otos and guppies and add one other species.
Yeah agree with you. At the moment I have
6 Amano shrimps
4 baby snails that I just found in the tank :D
2 mollies - bottom dweller

Then I would like to get
10-16 Neon tetras - mid-bottom dweller
4-6 Danios (zebra, white cloud or pearl) - everywhere dweller - hehe
2-4 Red Dwarf Gourami - top dweller

I thought of maybe getting some more schools
I would like a fish some some nice bright colour (yellow or blue), imagine the german blue ram - something like this. What would you recommend? My girlfriend really wants the ram, but I think it wouldn't be a good addition.
What about Threadfin Rainbowfish?

Still thinking on what fishes to get haha:D:D:D

Hi
Danios are a bit boisterous fish.And a bit fin nipping too.Did U had a look at my suggestions above about the Pseudomugil varieties. The fork tale is bright yellow and swim everywhere in the tank.Males flare very attractive and are way more peaceful than danios.
Regards Konsa

Hi
Danios are a bit boisterous fish.And a bit fin nipping too.Did U had a look at my suggestions above about the Pseudomugil varieties. The fork tale is bright yellow and swim everywhere in the tank.Males flare very attractive and are way more peaceful than danios.
Regards Konsa
Hey Konsa

Yeah I did - now :shy:

Really nice ones!!

Will they get along with the neon tetras, mollies (because I have already) and the dwarf gourami? Only these 3 but neons and Pseudomugil on shools

Right now I liked the Forktail blue eyes, Spotted blue eyes, red neon, delicate blue eyes and pacific blue eyes - lol almost all haha

Where can I find this for sale in London though?

Hi
They will get along with anything.They are peaceful and even when they flare to one another there is no real fights.They dont shool together tho.Ask in your LFS if they can get them in for U.There pretty common.I have bought some of ebay but 15 quid postage tho.
Regards Konsa

They dont shool together tho.Ask in your LFS if they can get them in for U.There pretty common.I have bought some of ebay but 15 quid postage tho.
Regards Konsa
I thought about buying fishes online, but I was always afraid. It was bad experience with Pets at home só online and even more scared :facepalm: haha

Gonna ask my LSF for sure - Thanks for mentioning the fish :D

Hey Konsa

Really nice ones!!

Will they get along with the neon tetras, mollies (because I have already) and the dwarf gourami? Only these 3 but neons and Pseudomugil on shools

Right now I liked the Forktail blue eyes, Spotted blue eyes, red neon, delicate blue eyes and pacific blue eyes - lol almost all haha

Neons with either the blue eyes or thredfin rainbows would be a good mix. I'd scrap the red dwarf gourami if I was you most of the time they come in from the Far East infected with a virus and rarely last a few months. Honey gourami would be a better alternative, slightly smaller and don't seem to be affected with the virus like dwarf gourami seem to.

Cheers

Conor

Hey Konsa

Really nice ones!!

Neons with either the blue eyes or thredfin rainbows would be a good mix. I'd scrap the red dwarf gourami if I was you most of the time they come in from the Far East infected with a virus and rarely last a few months. Honey gourami would be a better alternative, slightly smaller and don't seem to be affected with the virus like dwarf gourami seem to.

Cheers

Conor

Another small peaceful fish worth considering is Laubuka dadiburjori....often overlooked in shops as they don't display well in them but once in a planted tank they look fantastic imo :)

I have just added threadfins to my fork tails and they mingle so happily and make a lovely display! I am totally thrilled with them and can't believe I never had any rainbows before!
That's good to know. I ordered some forktails from my LFS, but they say it can take 1 week as it can take 2/3...haha lets see. Today I got 17 neon tetras, result - Veeeeery Happy:D:joyful::joyful::joyful::p

It will be
17 Neon Tetras
8-10 Amano Shrimps (currently 6)
4 Mollies (currently 2)
10 Forktail Rainbow (currently 0)

At least that's the plan for now :)

What do you guys think?

I thought maybe adding the Honey Gourami's later, as they are bigger. But my thoughts change all the time :D

Hey guys!!! I'm back almost a year later :D:hilarious::D

So, as I am re-scaping my tank I thought on getting some more fish again as before I never got the ones I wanted. Got sick then moved and got sick again .... bah

At the moment I have:
17 Neon Tetras
1 Golden Molly
11 Amano Shrimps
1 Pleco

I was thinking on the below:
25 Neon Tetra maybe 30
4 Golden Molly (3 females 1 male)
20 Amano Shrimps
1 Pleco
New additons
5-10 Sterbai Cori (@jameson_uk you gave me a good idea)

I don't know why but I feel somthing is missing.... maybe when I get the tank re-scaped and all new fishes in I will loe this feeling :shifty::rolleyes:

Let me know your thougs :happy:

Back