• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My fish skin is white and pealing off

Sirkavu

Hi Guys,

So I just got home today to find my dwarf gourami has his skin pealing and it’s white - See below.
2_B55_D73_F-_ED6_B-4_D05-8873-0_D6_BAA30_C5_A3.jpg

813_B76_AA-_C631-43_B0-8_B50-2_A5_F18_D7_E1_AE.jpg

AE6_CC4_CB-_FDD6-4_B98-8_D82-172_FE56_FDED4.jpg

Few weeks ago he has his gills red - ammonia toxic I believe. This due to a failed attempt on keeping plants before knowing 100% about it and following Pets at Home advice (yeah I learned with that mistake).

I also have 2 molies in the tank, which is almost a year old. Everything looks fine but my gourami is suffering and is either in a corner at surface or hiding at the bottom.

Can you please help me?:(:(:(

Thank you

If water in tank test's Zero for ammonia and nitrites all day/everyday, I might suspect that ammonia burn from what you have shared could be contributer to overall health or lack thereof.
If Gourami is recent addition,might also consider that a good portion of imported Dwarf gourami (Colisa Iala) are prone to Iridovirus which is by most account's untreatable, and capable of being infectious to a few other species of fishes.
I might euthanize or isolate the gourami before treating whole tank with med's, and hope after a few week's that tank condition's stabilize.
50% water changes weekly or twice weekly with dechlorinator for new water added would be my path.
Sparse feedings perhaps every couple day's.
Mollies prefer hard alkaline water while gourami in general prefer softer water IME

If water in tank test's Zero for ammonia and nitrites all day/everyday
I don’t test my water everyday sorry. I did before and once he got better only did before and after water change as they are not very reliable.

If Gourami is recent addition
Bought him around 2 months ago. Is this considered recent
I might euthanize or isolate the gourami before treating whole tank with med's
Do you think I should do it? Having what I said in mind.
If so I’ll do it once back from work
What meds’ do you advice, so I can buy it on my way home?

Thank you for the hel

I'm not big on medication's and seldom if ever use them.
I am big on buying live stock best suited for the water I can most easily reproduce, which comes from my tap and is fairly hard 12DGH
I tend to keep fishes that do better in hard water than soft such as gourami prefer.
Could be as mentioned, the brief ammonia recorded could have easily been stressful to toxic and the gourami simply more sensitive finding itself not only dealing with perhaps ammonia,but hard water,warm temps,lapse maint.or water changes ,recent med's or buffer's,excess food's,and the list goes on.
I would euthanize the affected fish, and maybe try again in a few week's assuming other variables that may be player's are examined to see if any improvement's could be made that might make another attempt more successful.
Iridovirus is not easily treated with any degree of success,(if that is what it is), and meds could stress other fishes and or plant's ability to take in what they need (speculation with respect to plant's)

This fish sounds to be in a bad way

If he was a zebra danio, I'd treat as there's a good chance of recovery

As a dwarf Gourami (most, not some are infected with DG iridovirus), I'd euthanize unless he is still eating with some vigor - which would allow you to treat with a medicated food

As he's not feeling well, he's likely stressed by Molly attention, can you isolate?

Try antibacterial med - Furans would likely be most effective against the skin sloughing (underlying cause)

You can try whatever's available just to feel you've not given up on him, but unless you see daily improvement, I'd euthanize

Yeah....unfortunately I had to let him go cuz he was at the bottom without moving :( he was a fighter though!

Thank you for your advices below

Back