• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting Advice needed for 30 inch tank

Karl douglas

Seedling
Hi all, am in the process of collecting equipment for a custom rimless tank. 30x20x16” am wanting to start out low tech no co2 with a possibility on going co2 later on.can anyone recommend a decent light am not wanting to go down the route of 200 -300 pound for a light as I have just sold my marine stuff about 3 months ago.any help would be great thanks karl

Why 200-300 quid on a high powered light if your not using co2, you will be battling algae on a massive scale, personally I would spend the money on a co2 system and a reasonable price Led, you would still have cash left over for a pint.

30x20x16” am wanting to start out low tech no co2 with a possibility on going co2 later on.can anyone recommend a decent light am not wanting to go down the route of 200 -300 pound for a light

T5 will be more economic than any LED system - but if you insist on dimmable, then cost increases substantially

If you want RGB LED, cost increases

Tank dimensions 75cm (L) x 50cm x 40cm (H)
What are your goals for plants/aquascape?
eg, open foreground? dense planting front to back?

Thanks for the reply’s, am saying a don’t want to pay 200 300 for a light. Just wanting to grow easy plants and see where the hobbie goes I have spend thousands on my reef tanks in the past. Was just wondering if there was any decent lights for low cost I do fancy c02 and can get refilled locally but just don’t under stand how long they last etc at the min thanks

Tank width of 75cm means sorting out some modification to most lights I suspect, 60cm & 90 cm are standard

You'll find some 60cm units with extendable "legs" but suspended would give you more options in light choice

"Decent" lights - most lower cost LED will have tradeoff in color rendition (noticeable in plant & fish colours)
T5 units are easier to adjust (color perceptions) as just switch out the lamp

Any local shops with decent display tanks?

There no aquascape shops near me I have been looking around for two weeks everyone near me is now marine. It seem more complex then expected just for a light with no co2 :(

Well to be simple

Aquarium Gardens
Twinstar 600 E - as tank is 50cm wide, you'll need to choose your plants carefully (no linear array LED or single T5 tube will provide even light across this distance), you can easily add a second 600 E at a later date if wanted

Twinstar 600 S - you can see how well this works on the Aquascaper 600 (60 cm x 50cm footprint) in George Farmer videos & AG display tanks, it will likely grow anything you would want but you'd (likely) need to add in the dimmer for non-CO2

Chat with Dave about fitting the light as tank is 75cm long

Go Chihiros if you're not fussed about build quality (or fast customer service)

It seem more complex then expected just for a light with no co2 :(

Not really, just easier to recommend something if you had given more of an idea of your preferences
LED vs T5?
If LED, is RGB important to you? (better to buy a light once that suits, then end up dissatisfied with the esthetics)
Open foreground or dense planting front to back?
etc

& then you mentioned you might want to add CO2 ...
:)

Back