• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Manten/ancient stone hardscape options

Kalum

Quick placement to get an idea of where to put the main stone and then build around it, will be building up the substrate to get more height on the left for the final scape

My aim is to get a mountain scape with a break/path between the 2 areas of stone and a bonsai will be going on the right side with the substrate sloping down to help with scale

Comments good or bad welcome and if you have any ideas how I can improve it then it would be appreciated

This is the stone I have
20180306_195400-1008x756.jpg

Scape 1
20180307_183259-756x1008.jpg
20180307_183309-756x1008.jpg

Scape 2
20180307_180731-756x1008.jpg
20180307_180456-756x1008.jpg

Gorgeous stones but something doesn't "feel" right looking at the pics above - almost too artificial or symmetrical, primarily those two smaller rocks at the front.

I don't know, I really liked the 2nd scape that company sent you, but...I don't know how it would look with a bonsai tree.

1x-1-870x604-jpg.jpg

Still, very jealous of the stone you guys have access to over there. :)

Agreed with the above, for some reason it looks very artificial and too purposely placed...

I would maybe try forming 2-3 large pieces very close together, then build outwards slowly like the picture in digitalfiends post...

Also from the little i've learnt its good to look at the angles formed by the peaks of the main stones (when placed together) to see if it creates harmony from all angles...

Kalum

Quick placement to get an idea of where to put the main stone and then build around it,

Very sorry to say "That is exactly what it looks like"

My aim is to get a mountain scape with a break/path between the 2 areas of stone and a bonsai will be going on the right side with the substrate sloping down to help with scale

Now that I do like "Aim" but will that work I doubt it very much.

Over all it looks like every stone is very carefully placed but for what reason. The stones just don't work with each other in those positions. In other words there is no smooth eye flow.

In comparison the rock placement (below) is extremely interesting to look at, reason being it has many heights, shapes and little interesting spots to stop and admire.

Keith:wave::wave:

1x-1-870x604-jpg.jpg

Thanks gents those are exactly the type of straight yo the point comments I was looking for. The only thing about the other scape you posted is that it didn't look great from any angle than the front so was playing about with the main stones only to see what other layouts I can get from this and if they are better or not

As the substrate isn't set at its final level I'll hopefully be able to build more height to the stones in the left especially to the left and I'll be adding some of the smaller stones as well as I had left them out this for quickness

The comments have given me a few ideas and reinforced that I need to make sure and provide multple levels and peaks so I'll take that on board :thumbup:

Another tip, at the very end you could even crush one of your unused stones up and almost sprinkle the fragments near the base of the rock work to create a more natural feel like the rock work was crumbling over time and settling at the base...

Kalum, can I ask where you got the manten stone from? It looks superb

Another tip, at the very end you could even crush one of your unused stones up and almost sprinkle the fragments near the base of the rock work to create a more natural feel like the rock work was crumbling over time and settling at the base...

Already got a tub of broken bits i've kept for that exact purpose, great minds ;)

Should also mention i'll be placing a light coloured sand in the pass between the 2 rocks

Kalum, can I ask where you got the manten stone from? It looks superb

Aquaman Nature Studio in Poland and shipped across mate, not many places have the 'proper' stone and very impressed with it

Then perhaps try to make a single feature out of a few stones rather than a cluster, try and pair some up tightly for one impact zone if you know what I mean.

Thanks Danny I know that's the more traditional approach but I've got 2 things I want to achieve, a mountain scape with a gap between 2 groups of stones and to use a bonsai as part of the overall scape

That's my thinking behind the 2 separate groupings, I know I'm limiting myself but I want a trade off between making it as best I can visually for me and more interesting for the fish and shrimp as well hence the 'mountain pass' idea

Kalum

At the moment all I can see is basically two rows of 5 & 6 rocks and a gap in the middle.

Very sorry to say its completely uninteresting.

You have some very interesting rocks but you are not using them to their best advantage.

Here is something for you to think about. Depth of field you have "Zero" your Focal point is somewhere in the front of the tank and that is where the eye wants to go.

1x-1-870x604-jpg.jpg

This also has two basic rows, the rocks at the front are spread out and your eye is travelling across the front of the tank.

Keith:wave::wave:

The one issue I see with the "pass" is that it is somewhat occluded by the stone in front, so you can only really see it from a specific angle. That perfect viewing angle seems to be very close to the corner of the aquarium such that you can get some odd viewing artifacts due to refraction of the two panes of glass (e.g. seeing double paths, etc).

I think a lot of it has to do with that stone on the left, 2nd one from the front. It's a gorgeous stone but almost too dominant and seems out of place or unbalanced. Maybe try laying it back more, against the stone behind, which will lower it's profile, as well soften its appearance a bit.

I'm still having a hard time envisioning what a bonsai tree will look like with this setup. Since you're using the stones to form a mountain, it seems like the bonsai would be dramatically out of scale. Have you considered making a rocky outcrop/mound and having the bonsai tree growing from that? Sort of a "nature finds a way" vibe. Some examples:

(your rocks look better ... bonsai tree should reach out to the right more)
14c01591d1e788fc08feff2dae4a1c30.jpg

(minus the extra wood, yours could be more left or right balanced)
9fb1b294e64ac0ef2ae6004354385656.jpg

Here is something for you to think about. Depth of field you have "Zero" your Focal point is somewhere in the front of the tank and that is where the eye wants to go.

This also has two basic rows, the rocks at the front are spread out and your eye is travelling across the front of the tank.

Good point. In the shop scape the stones carry your eye from the top left corner of the tank down to the right...leading right to the bonsai, which depending on shape, could reach back towards the "mountain" which draws the eyes back to the top of the tank - a nice circular flow.

Yeh get the point about the 2nd stone in being too dominant and the focal point being too far to the front, away for the weekend but I think I'll go back to that stone on the right and scape closer to the original, trying to think I know better that the company that did the scape in the first place clearly isn't working :lol:

Thanks for the comments gents all fair points and and I'll take on board ;)

Back