• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Adiantum Fern??

Hi all,
I don't think I do. I'll get one Monday and post it here.
Here it is, in its full scruffy glory. It usually hangs beneath the staging, rather than above it. IMG_0024.JPG .

I think it is <"Davallia mariesii">.

cheers Darrel

Attachments

• IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 140
I bought the below last weekend to plant in my pond in wet conditions. Not sure it will take but I'll try. The pot is labelled Adiantum fragrans. I am going to give it its own pot instead of planting under larger plants that tend to smother any competition.

20180421_122601.jpg

I did too a few weeks ago, also a fragrans.. I uprooted it, ripped a small piece off. Trimmed all big leaves off and what was left i did put with the rizhome in the water on a piece of wood. It takes it very well and grew 2 new leaves by now... :) So yours should be fine as well i guess.

Fragrans originats from Brasil, it's rather temp sensitive it shouldn't be placed bellow 18°C and no cold drafts.. In my case i would have prefered a smaller one, but these are hard to get. Ordered a bag of spores from the A. capillus-veneris.. I see if i can manage that.. The indigenous Maidenhair spleenwort <Asplenium trichomanes> fern could be an option as well, these grow a tad smaller. And not an adiantum but hence the nameshare Maidenhair, they resamble eachother a lot. This fern seems to require a lot of light when placed wet, in nature they often grow on wood at stream banks in open spots etc. :) In dryer invironment they prefer to grow on rocks and walls.

and no cold drafts

I placed mine temporarily near the window and the window is opened. I already noticed it didn't like it there because the leaves that were getting the breeze sort of curled up. It should do better when it goes in the pond I hope. I am just not sure how much light it likes?

I am just not sure how much light it likes?

Me neither, my house is extremely well daylight lit, a small through lounge with skylight. The fern in the pot and that cutting above the tank both stand under the skylight. Enough to light the tank brighter than the artificial lights do. So these are turned off again till late september. So i guess you'll find out sooner than i do.. :)

damn clay pebbles are not sinking fast enough, lol

I guess boiling them will make'm sink faster it opens the pores and forces the air out faster.. :) Never tried, just a theory.. I give it a try straight away.. :)

But it indeed kinda works, i threw a hand full in the cooking pot all where floating.. And what works even faster is cook them and scoop 'm out and shock them straight away into cold water. 50% sank within 10 minutes. :) Or i was just lucky.. Expand/Contract probably sucks in the cold water into the pores. :)

Mmm, I may try that tomorrow...I am now going to drill the baskets to have them ready.
Don't blame me if you get dissapointed. :rolleyes: I tried a handfull only.. Other question, why not Alfagrog? This sinks rather fast and is a beter substarte.. Still can use a toplayer pebles for decoration.. :)

I never got around to boiling the pebbles. The excuse is Sunday was a water change day and I got too lazy afterwards :p Why do something that's going to get done itself with a bit of patience :rolleyes:But I drilled the baskets...

Some of my soaked clay pebbles have settled at the bottom now so I'll be adding at least one new basket to my pond :) I've got 2 more plants to add besides this fern. Hopefully they do well. I've killed too many plants already....

It's in the pond....It's not in great condition after staying at window in a small pot, looks like it suffered from micro deficiencies. I'll see how it gets on in the pond as I don't dose anything at all....

I tucked it in under the recovering palm(in its own pot) and next to the net to support it until it takes hold in the pebbles. It's partially shaded. I'll see if it wants to be moved...

20180428_123744.jpg

I experienced a human error issue with the fern.:oops: This weekend it didn't look good to me...When I pulled it out of the tank I noticed its roots were completely above the clay pebbles. The damn pebbles are still floating and when the basket is submersed the plant is literally floating sort of side ways. As a result it didn't do good at all. Half of the pebbles are down on the sand entertaining the fish.....So I refilled the basket and I put stones over the clay pebbles to hold everything in place. Its been 2 days since I did that and the fern has perked up and thrown about 5-6 new stalks fairly fast. Some of the old fronds died out though so I'll see. It could be still adapting to the very wet conditions but the new growth is encouraging. I am going to wait till this weekend and take some pictures.

I am reading it prefers acidic conditions so it may not do that well for me

I've played with a lot of ferns over the years and till now all of them don't realy like transplantation and dividing even less.. I guess its their slow growth habbit playing a role, that the transplant shock causes more damage and the fern dies faster than it can repair itself. Under artificial light this can even be more difficult depending on the sp.
All ferns i dug up in nature to put in my garden 80% of it died back the first year and came back the year after that. I learned only to transplant/devide ferns in the spring time this periode the rhizome has a lot of fresh young shoots and is most vital also this climate is beter for a fern, soft light and lot of moist. But this is only for ferns in the ground.
Transplanting epiphytic ferns is even more dificult, still trying to find a sp. that can take it. But till now all i ttried all died.. As if the fern has to decide on it's own where it likes it grow. A spore germinating alteady is a little rare wonder in need of special conditions, that a spore finds this in nature is somewhat a rarety, or else these would be much more ferns. So i guess if you do not transplant a fern to an absolute perfect spot (for example in a terrarium) it will not make it. For example i have a bunch growing naturaly to the damp wall at the back of my shed, i took several young plants of the wall to put them somewhere else. and i failed every single time. I have to leave them where they are..

Must say the Adiantum fragrans till now is the only fern i diveded with somewhat success. Did put a small piece epiphytic on driftwood in the damp moss above my aqaurium and it made 5 new leaves already. They are not in perfect color, but it slowly seems to addapt.. It's a first for me, all other fern species i tried failed. But it's standing under a sky light.. This picture is taking a minute ago about 8.30 AM and all artificial light is turned off.. This tank is fully naturaly lit, and pretty bright, durring the summer far over 12 hours a day..
DSCF1144.jpg

Did the same outdoors with a Asplenium trichomanes, (Spleenwort maidenhair). Flushed all the soil from it's rhizome but this one didn't take it that well, it still is in transplant shock, definitively in trouble and loosing leaves. I'm not sure if it's going to make it. I have to spray it several times a day, so it takes up moist via it's leaves. Somehow the rhizome is refusing to make up for that, all tho it's partialy in the water. In the right hand back of the picture is the same plant i left in the pot, so i didn't transplant that one, the pots bottom is in the water. And this one doesn't have any trouble at all. And the spleenwort definitively is a fern that prefers to grow epiphytic.
Likely not at the spot i choose for it. But reportedly they also grow like this in nature at stream banks.
DSCF1145.jpg

Anyway, transplanting ferns and give them a new substrate always is a bit of a gamble and a game of patience.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Marcel.

I think the leaves may indeed need spraying with water considering some of mine dried out but since I will not be able to do that all the time I'll sit and watch how it adapts the way it is.

I know sometimes it takes weeks and months for plants to adapt. As long as the root system doesn't rot from too much water, it may adapt. The previous fern I tried died out but I made the mistake of planting it under the big palm which smothered it for light.

Back