• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hydroponic culture

Alejandro

Seedling
Hola:
I want to start a hydroponic culture of aquatic plants. Is there a tutorial to start?
As far as I could see, the ebb and flow system is used.
But what nutrient solution do they use? What is the period of flooding and drainage?
Muchas gracias.

I think commercially, on a small scale, to first learn.
As for Dennerlen, I've already seen the videos. Seeing these videos I decided to study hydroponics.
The problem is that my colloquial English is not good. I can read anything technical.
In any part of the video, does it say about the time intervals, when the tables are flooded and dry? Explain, something, about the nutrient solution they use?
Muchas gracias por responder

I think commercially, on a small scale, to first learn.
As for Dennerlen, I've already seen the videos. Seeing these videos I decided to study hydroponics.
The problem is that my colloquial English is not good. I can read anything technical.
In any part of the video, does it say about the time intervals, when the tables are flooded and dry? Explain, something, about the nutrient solution they use?
Muchas gracias por responder
Tables are fed water 3x a day, water exits the table via overflow at opposite end, water is treated with a specific nutrient mix that is a dennerle secret, i imagine it is some sort of NPK+trace, obviously they will not give too much information as it is a trade secret.

The watering schemes and or type of fertilization used depends on type of substrate and which kind of plant you like to grow on it.

90% of the nurseries grow plants on Rockwool, it holds water very well. It doesn't need a constant watering scheme.
Depending on what you grow on it, watering it a few times a day or maybe few times an hour can be sufficient. To know you are watering enough schemes can be set to drain 10% of the total volume added. Rockwool has a pH of +/- 8, this is a bit on the high side for optimal fertilization, thus the fert solution needs to be lowered to desired value ph and constantly monitored.. For the rest it is completely inert and clean. There for it also has special complete Rockwool fert solutions available for it likely a more acidic solution than for other types of media.

As for example PU foam that can be used as grow medium.. But this holds less water than Rockwool, it is less dense, more aerated and dries out sooner.. Thus this requires a different watering scheme. Best to have it constantly watered and drained in a 24/7 cycle. Because it is a less dense more dirt collectiong medium than rockwool it will have EC issues which need to be monitored closely.

And so on and on, each medium requires a different work around, fert and watering regime to be used optimaly depending what you are growing in it.
It's possible to buy complete fert solutions pre mixed to be ideal for a typical kind of substrate, like Rockwool fert mix, Coco fert mix, Dirt soil fert mix etc. etc..

For ornamental and or hobby use it al doesn't realy mater that much what substrate you choose, baket clay based substartes like Hydro Pellet or Ceramis are ideal. For combined fitering purpose, fritted glass or lava rock based substrates with a good drainange are ideal. If lifestock is involved than fert contents and schemes should be safe for the lifestock in the water.

Hi all,
You can buy small flood and drain and aeroponics systems aimed at "grow your own" Tomato* growers. For most aquatic plants you can grow them in permanent "flood", with a cover over them to maintain humidity.
* other crops may be available..

cheers Darrel
i need a haha react, not just a like.... :lol::lol::thumbup:

another thing to add, i have seen that dennerle use some sort of substrate or fertiliser mix inside the rockwool during the first planting, but when you take the pots off their plants, there is nothing inside the rockwool.

I think even if Dennerle us saying it's a company secret, there aint much secret going on with growing on rockwool. :) Plants need NPK and Micros and can benefit from some grow boosters like root stimulators and or bloom stimulators if you want plants to flower and polinate them. And a somewhat regulated climate all depending in the species you grow.

If course a company like Dennerle likes to play the secret number one ;), like Tropica might do as well. Like every supermarket claims to be the cheapest of all. And how's that even possible all beeing the cheapest? :rolleyes:o_O Duh?.

But that doesn't take away it all is rather very dynamic and nothing constant. If there would be a secret than there are likely a ton of secrets. And the most important secret is working clean and look at the plant, knowing it and give it what it asks for if necessary. :thumbup:

fertilizers for aquarium?. Will they use these fertilizers instead of conventional hydroponic solutions?

fertilizers for aquarium?. Will they use these fertilizers instead of conventional hydroponic solutions?
They manufacture those i think those might be stock shelves for the online shop, not sure if that is the fertiliser they are using in the actual ebb and flow system.

Back