• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First foray into planted tanks

Simon B

Hi everyone!

After a kind prod from a moderator over on the New Member section, I have plucked up the courage to document my journey into planted tanks!

I'm afraid I have no pictures yet, as I'm just about to buy everything! But as I'm new, I thought it might make sense to quickly document a bit about me, and the kind of things I'm looking to achieve.

I'm in my thirties, have given up my proper job and am now a piano teacher, which means I have a fair bit of time at home, which is handy for this sort of stuff. I've kept marine fish for a few years, but I haven't kept a freshwater tank since the horrendous mish-mash of gravel, inappropriate tankmates, overstocking, and general algae farm that I had as a teenager. I think I always assumed that this was just how planted tanks were. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I clicked on a YouTube video by George Farmer, and I was absolutely amazed at the beautiful things he was doing. I then spent the next few days clicking link after link, trying to understand how it was done. Do I think mine will look like this? No. Not a chance. But it won't half be fun to have a go trying!

My plan is to set up two planted tanks over the next few months or so. The first will be a cheap and cheerful venture just to get my feet wet and learn a few basic principles. Then, I hope to create a more high-tech setup and put some sort of iwagumi together.

For this first tank, I'm thinking of setting up a small planted tank for 3 Dwarf Puffers, and maybe a few Amano shrimp if they'll tolerate them. I've been absolutely captivated by DPs, and I need them in my life! Anyway, I'm aware that I really don't know what I'm doing at this stage, so if any of this sounds dodgy, please don't hesitate to say so!

For this tank, my current thinking is as follows:

Tank: Dennerle 60 litre cube - cheap and cheerful

Filter: Oase BioPlus 100 Thermo internal corner filter (integrated 100W heater, 500 litres/hr). This tank will be placed on a chunky hardwood sideboard in the dining room, and sadly drilling holes for external filter pipework isn't really an option. This filter doesn't look too bad to maintain with its handy magnetic catches. I was toying with the next model up, but a 200W heater in a 60 litre tank feels a bit dodgy, and I'm not sure the DPs would appreciate that sort of flow rate battering them about.

Light: I'm thinking of splashing out on a Kessil A80 freshwater. Once it's bought, it's bought. It might be useful in the future, and I have a bit of a fetish about shimmer lines...

Substrate: Dennerle Scapers' Soil (4 litre bag); and maybe a front corner of the tank left unplanted with Limpopo black sand (1-2mm grain).

Water: I'm not sure about this. With marines, I'm used to using RO or facing the consequences. If it was possible to use appropriately treated tapwater, so much the better. I'm in Birmingham, so my tapwater comes largely from the Elan Valley, is about pH 7.8, on the soft side, and seems reasonable. I haven't looked at the TDS or anything, though.

Hardscape: Unsure. I like manten stone, but I'm damned if I'm paying manten stone prices! I think a dark rock would best show off the slightly drab nature of the Dwarf Puffers best, so I'll see what's available. Also, since it's quite a tall tank, I'm thinking of some sort of vertical elements of driftwood / manzanita / redwood.

Plants: I'm not after a perfect biotope, but I thought it might be nice to include some plants from the Puffers' native Kerela. After a bit of research, the native ones I seem to have any hope of growing are:

Cryptocoryne undulatus 'Red'
Hygrophila corymbosa 'compacta'
Hygrophila corymbosa Siamensis 53B
Hygrophila difformis
Limnophilia sessiliflora
Vesicularia dubyana 'Christmas moss' (not strictly biotope, but it's a bit nicer than the native Java moss...)
Microsorum pteropus mini 'Petit' Java Fern

Whilst not native, I might see if I can get a slight foreground carpet of Monte Carlo going. It would be good practice for the iwagumi.

I'm aware that I need to break up lines of sight in this tank to avoid aggression, so if anyone has any suggestions of suitable plants (whether native to India or not), please do let me know. The fishes' well-being is the most important thing.

Fertiliser & CO2: Dennerle Carbo Elixir Bio (2ml / day to start with, then see where we are before adding fish)
Evolution Aqua "The Aquascaper Complete Plant food" (2ml / day to start with)

Ancillaries: Small 10 litre or so cheapo tank and sponge filter for propogating snails for food.

My biggest query so far is in how to best to cycle the tank. I'm used to just banging a load of live rock in and waiting for the Ammonia and nitrite to hit zero, which is easy! Oddly, not many aquascaping videos seem to cover this, or if they do, they're all using filter media from a handy system that's already running so they can pop things in straight away.

Anyway, that was far longer than I intended it to be! Sorry - it's probably a bit boring without pictures, but at least this will be useful for me to remember what I decided next week when I'm hopefully not still snowed in, and can make a pilgrimage to Aquarium Gardens!

Thanks for reading, and I'll do my best to keep this updated - and, hopefully, more entertaining - over the coming weeks!

Simon

Last edited:
Hi,
Cycling the tank generates a lot of debate, but i don't think its much different from your marine experience. Set your tank up, plant it, do regular water changes, leave it a few weeks until your plants are showing decent growth, stock slowly with livestock.

I've always done this with no issues. No faffing about adding ammonia etc.

k

Hi Simon
So far sounds like a good plan. Although I agree about the light. My biggest struggle early on was to figure out how much light I needed. I don't know much about Kessil lights but I always think they are for high tech tanks. If it comes with a dimmer then it should be ok.

The most important thing is to grow plants so they can outcompete algae. So easy fast growing plants to start with, even if you don't want to keep some of them in the tank permanently. I like water sprite (ceratopteris thalictroides) in my new set ups as it grows like a weed. But any of the fast growers will do. For inspiration I often start with Tropica http://tropica.com/en/plants/

As to cycling the tank, I do the same as Kazzab. Plant the tank, and once plant growth and algae issues are under control, then add any livestock. I know people add amano or red cherry shrimp quite quickly, and I see people adding them after first couple of weeks, to help with any algae.

In my rescaped tanks with mature filters, I don't even wait. Just put the old livestock back to my newly rescaped tank. Haven't lost any fish doing it. I feel plants are amazing at keeping fish alive. Planted tank is like one huge filter.

You need to be very careful about how much light you use as over lighting is enemy number one!
My biggest struggle early on was to figure out how much light I needed. I don't know much about Kessil lights but I always think they are for high tech tanks. If it comes with a dimmer then it should be ok.
Thanks for this guys. The Kessil is dimmable, and it's only 15 Watts, but the more I think about it, the more it's a hell of a lot of dosh before I know what I'm doing!

I'm not sure of the etiquette of linking to external sites, so I'll just say I'm wondering whether to buy 2 of the 6W "Leddy" LED lights, or maybe the 24W Dennerle Scapers' light, both of which are sold by Aquarium Gardens, but neither of these are dimmable, and I'm only planning on doing liquid CO2 in this setup. Hmm... Choices choices...

I think you should look at a dimmable one
I think you're right. Thank you for that. Nutrients and light are the all important factors, and goodness knows it's hard enough to control nutrients...!

If anyone has any suggestions, do please let me know! This tank is 38cm wide, which is a bit of an oddball size.

You can dim by increasing distance, squared even:D
Argh! Maths! I wasn't told there would be maths!

Actually, we don't think so in planted tanks:), we just overdose:cool:
Ah - yes - this is one of the big differences I'm going to have to get my head around! Thank you very much for the link - I'll have a good old read :thumbup:

Back