• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Adiantum Fern??

zozo

Quite some time i'm searching for an Adiantum :) and actualy the one that stays about the smallest. That would be the Adiantum capillus-veneris, seems to be extremely wide spread over the world, mainly (sub)tropics and likes to grow epiphytic in river splash zones on rocks etc. Adding all this it would be the most perfect maidenhair for what we all plan to do with it, grow it above an open top tank...

But it seems also extremely hard to obtain in the trade. Does anybody know why that is? Since it is so readily available in the softer climates i bet there must be people growing this little fern at home or in the garden. :)

For me in the temporate region i can only find the common and bigger Maidenhair ferns and i actualy find them a tad to big for what i want. I only could find spores from the capillus-veneris at Ebay.. I ordered me a bag, still a surprise what and how it will turn out.

Very curious why this one is so hard to find?

Thanks Ed, i take a look atthe nurseries.
Or maybe just a bikeride away
That's indeed very close to my place, i've seen it,
it also shows a picture, but with location unknown.. :(.. :)

Might order it from the UK after the frosty nights are over. I didn't find that one. :thumbup:

Nice little plant, seems not to grow bigger than 40cm. The other Adiantums more commonly available go over 60cm and easily overgrow everything.

ps.
Holy crap.. :eek: pound 29.95 shady shipping from from shady plants. :confused:

Last edited:
Hi all,
That would be the Adiantum capillus-veneris, seems to be extremely wide spread over the world, mainly (sub)tropics and likes to grow epiphytic in river splash zones on rocks etc.
It isn't easy to grow.

I've seen it wild in the Burren (<"it grows in the grykes of the limestone pavement">, mainly near the sea), and at Cotehele quay (National Trust )where it grows under stone arches in seepages of lime rich water.

As far as I know in the UK it always grows where the isn't much frost and a constant seepage of lime rich water.

cheers Darrel

lime rich water.
That's what i initialy thought, discriptions say it prefers lime rich substrates.. Thanks for confirming that.. So it might not do good on wood in a softwater invironment at all. I'll wait till i get the ordered spores and see how that turns out. :)

rabbit foot
I had it one time.. It's indeed a also lovely fern.. :)

Hi all,
My favourite small fern is the rabbit foot, it can grow epiphytically or with its feet in water.
I had it one time.. It's indeed a also lovely fern..
I've got a really large Davallia fern plant, It was given to me years ago and has thrived on neglect ever since.

I was expecting to re-pot it eventually (it is in a hanging basket and most of the middle is now leafless, but it is growing down for about 30cm), you're more than welcome to a bit when it warms up.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,I've got a really large Davallia fern plant, It was given to me years ago and has thrived on neglect ever since.

I was expecting to re-pot it eventually (it is in a hanging basket and most of the middle is now leafless, but it is growing down for about 30cm), you're more than welcome to a bit when it warms up.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for the offer Darrel.... But it is commonly and cheaply available. Sending it over per international postage would be more expesive than buying it. Last time i bought it i believe it was € 2,95 for an adult fern.. I'll think i give the Adiantum raddianum a try, this one prefers soft water it seems.

I love ferns, especialy the Adianthum. I think the smallest Adianthum is the Adiathum sp. Fritz Luthi. :thumbup:
The flattest grower is perheps the Adianthum caudatum. The one that can become the biggest (without collapsing) is the Adiantum raddianum Brilliantelse

I think the smallest Adianthum is the Adiathum sp. Fritz Luthi.
Seems to be a Raddianum cultivar - 60 cm..

I guess a lot depends on light and substrate vs feeding in how fast and big they grow. :) I few yers ago there was a new trend rising, indoor table mini garden. Back then nurseries jumped on it with growing a Bambino plant collection of about everything with very young small plants in those little 3cm pots. Unfortunately, most trends end again someday, i haven't seen Bambino's around for at least 3 years. At least not as much as i used to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cor
I have just come back from the garden centre, they have 7 types of Adianthum for sale but unfortunately they are all maked as 'Adianthum mix'

That's indeed very often.. Now and then i also see ferns at the local supermarket.. Discount 2 ferns for €5,- just called Fern mix. Still eyeballing if ever a Microsorum sp. or Adiantum is among it. Till now i wasn't lucky.. But one day i will, patience, i've seen them both in the past.. But at that time i wasn't realy interested in buying a set. The idea came later..

my idea is i have this tank with a piece of wood sticking out emersed.
DSCF9911 (Medium).JPG

It is completely soaked wet by now and partialy covered with several moss sp. I'd like to grow a somewhat bigger but not to big fern on it in the centre on the moss..
DSCF9910 (Medium).JPG

Last year i tried a small piece of a rabbit foot, but in a way it didn't like it up there and didn't root. Most ferns i tried didn't, seems like they hate to be moved when devided. Maybe the pieces i tried were to small.. I'll keep on trying till i find one that does. Next victim Adiantum. :) And wondering why the small Adiantum var. are rather dificult to obtain in the trade.

Funny actualy one would think a terrestrial fern would be easy to grow on there.. But it seems rather difficult to find one. Wile the little emersed anubias nana petite (can't be more petite than this) is doing realy great. It started with a only a rhizome with almost no leaves and grows realy well.
DSCF9912.JPG

Last edited:
Hi all,
Last year i tried a small piece of a rabbit foot, but in a way it didn't like it up there and didn't root. Most ferns i tried didn't, seems like they hate to be moved when devided. Maybe the pieces i tried were to small..
You really want to start with a small spore grown plant.

If you can find a plant Adiantum caudatum (below) it forms new plants where the frond tips touch moist compost.

Adiantum_caudatum_Middleton_et_al_5388_PK_9632_sml.jpg

Adiantum tenerum has pink new fronds (so you could identify it if it wasn't labelled) and is the best Maidenhair fern in higher light.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, You really want to start with a small spore grown plant.

If you can find a plant Adiantum caudatum (below) it forms new plants where the frond tips touch moist compost.

Adiantum_caudatum_Middleton_et_al_5388_PK_9632_sml.jpg

Adiantum tenerum has pink new fronds (so you could identify it if it wasn't labelled) and is the best Maidenhair fern in higher light.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel i'll keep my eyes and ears open.. :)

Another option besides Adiantum might be the polypodium-formosanum also a smaller epyphitic fern. Following description it might do. Tho small it's recomended for larger terrariums with lots of ventilation, planted higher up so it isn't constantly dripping wet all the time.

Actualy can pick it up a few streets away from my house.

Back