• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is an inline reactor really better than an inline diffuser?

I would love to see a comersial reactor for sale, something that has been professionally designed, tested & manufactured.
'm certainly interested mate. Not a fan of fizzy tanks but can never find a reactor that meets all my needs.
Great idea, getting someone who is commercially interested with the right skill set is half the battle.

So I had got someone lined up to make one who seemed very excited but when people start not getting back to you I lose trust so I have knocked him on the head.
I've had a chat with a company I have had products from before and they are happy to make them for me. Does anyone else want one while they're at it?
It will be untested but I have a design in mind I think will work.

I decided a freestanding unit with an overall height of around 55cm is a good height.
that would be a 45cm cylinder sat on a 10cm plinth or thereabouts
The cylinder would be 8-10cm diameter
1/2" BSP inlet at the top and bottom so you can screw what you want on but they will glue the size hose barb you want *could be bigger if you need it.
2x 6mm pushfit connectors threaded into the top; one for the CO2 in, the other to release trapped gas
Hopefully on the inside of the CO2 inlet we can fit a piece of clear acrylic tube to inject the CO2 lower down in the cylinder.
Also have a 6mm pushfit at the bottom to drain the canister when it comes to cleaning time
Thinking a removable grill inside the bottom of the cylinder so if you feel the need to add bio balls you can without worrying they will block the outlet

What are everyone's thoughts?
I'm sure there's more but can't think right now!

They won't make one offs but will make the 3 I want so if anyone else wants one adding on looks like they will be around £70-80; the same kind of money as the aqua medic 1000.
I'm just waiting to find out exactly what fittings will be included and postage etc but I'm thinking it needs extra valves for the gas and water at the bottom, maybe a non return for the CO2.
I have a source for these parts in the UK though at a very good price.

On a separate note this is something I'm considering trying inside my canister; it's called and eductor mixing nozzle which sucks water in using the venturi principal so might help things but won't know until I try
educator.jpg

A few renderings of roughly what I'm thinking..........
1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

On a separate note this is something I'm considering trying inside my canister; it's called and eductor mixing nozzle which sucks water in using the venturi principal so might help things but won't know until I try
Might work, but I suspect not, as these generally require quite high pressure inlets, normally in the couple of bar range. A typical aquarium pump eg JBL1000 is only 0.15bar (1.5m head output of 10m).

A quick Google reveals working pressures typically 10-50bar...whoops.

You are right about isolation and drain valves to reduce and ease maintance.

Rubber feet somewere to stop any pump vibrations passing into your cabinet ?

Might work, but I suspect not, as these generally require quite high pressure inlets
I know that's why I'm not so sure but I have a sample to try. I've also got a pigs tail spiral inlet to try and create a bit of a vortex but think the opening looks a little small.

Rubber feet somewere to stop any pump vibrations passing into your cabinet ?
This is something I also had on my list but forgot to write.

There used to be a great german company making and selling them on ebay, they did cost £80-100 a pop, maybe why they went bust and now all we have left is crappy reactors, I must have tried at least 20 different ones that I could find and they were all crap to be honest, should have purchased one of those german ones back in the day! Even the Aquamedic one I have is below par!

From all the tests this was for me the best one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UP-aqua-...ic-Diffuser-Reactor-check-valve-/401472727179

But you get the micro bubble cloud in your tank when the CO2 is on :(

Micro bubbles are a indicator where the Co2 is being dispersed around the aquarium.....so is a good thing in my experience!
You can observe if you have a flow distribution problem easily when it comes to Co2 implementation!
Plants love those little tiny micro bubbles clinging to their leaves!
Better carbon absorption....less waste Co2!
I've grown plants outwith the substrate, nice and healthily using decent Co2 using the older version UP atomiser!
The UP Atomiser may have faults but its got its advantages.....;)
Cheers
hoggie

Micro bubbles are a indicator where the Co2 is being dispersed around the aquarium.....so is a good thing in my experience!

Definitely. Even without co2, a couple of large back to back water changes gets my water column bubbling enough for me to check my distribution, very handy.

Possibly but if you want to fully dissolve the gas, you would need a long pipe run after the venturi ... or a reactor!
There are other issues though, most venturis work by restricting the flow and would require a powerful pump.
Still, these ideas are often best tried out for oneself as the many variations could give different results for different people.

Back