• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

180l low tech

Chubbs has recommended weeping moss, which I would quite like to add (or something very similar) where would look best to put it?

Also I have some other questions:
My vallisneria melts when it reaches the surface, is there anything I can do to stop this?
Dw1305 recommended angling my spraybar down a bit to help the water lettace get going, where should I aim it? Can doing this have any ill effects on the fish?
The amazon sword is taking over a bit, is it OK to thin it out a bit by pulling out some of the leaves?

Thanks for all your help, it is really useful to get other peoples’ opinions and advice :)

Last edited:
Hi all, here is an updated picture. The growth is still doing well, I’m having to tame things quite regularly. I have added some java fern from my other tank to see if it will do better here.As well as the issues above I now have:

My amazon sword leaves are curling a lot, which doesn’t look very nice.
Some algae has grown on the drift wood, I have tried to include a picture of it. Should I remove? I don’t want to spread it by mistake.

Also I have killifish fry which despite being 5 weeks old still only look about 2 weeks! Has anyone had any experience of these? They eat lots but just dont seem to want to grow.

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 196
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 178
Update:

The tank is doing really well, everything growing nicely and no more fish losses plus I have added more cories and some danios. I have stuck to the same maintenance and light schedule and have been trimming once a week.
I have added some weeping moss but it hasn’t really got going yet.

Let me know any thoughts!

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 236
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 215
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 232
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 204
Hi
Nice looking tank.
U may try to feed the plec blanched courgettes (zucchini )or sweet potatoes to stop him eating the swords.
Regards Konsa

Hi all, here’s another update:

The tank is still doing great, I have to clear lots of plants out each week and everything seems healthier than ever.

I have given up with trying to get hairgrass to carpet so have planted a mixture of micro swords and dwarf sag, which is already spreading and thickening out well. Also I bought some dwarf lettuce from a member on which is doing great, previously I have had no luck with floating plants so I am very happy :)

I lost my male dwarf gourami to mouth alcers but have since bought some lavender gouramis which are lovely, I highly recommend them! The male has started making a bubble nest, he’s on the right protecting it. I have also added another bristle nose as it was so small and cute I couldn’t resist and some mystery snails.

The only questions I have this time: is when you mix up the ei bottles how long does this keep for? I only dose 20ml of each a week so it takes me a while to get through the whole 500ml. Also should I up this or leave it as it as while the tank is doing well?

Any comment very welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 261
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 260
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 236
Does anyone have suggestions on fish? I keep losing harlequins so am considering changing them for another hardy shoaling fish. Maybe danios or a type of tetra?

Christmas 2016 I bought 9 harlequins. Within a week they started dropping. I took a magnifying glass to a sick one and sure I noticed it had mouth rot/columnaris. I treated them at the time with antibiotic, 7 of the 9 survived but one died by jumping out of the tank afterwards. So I was left with 6 which did quite well for the last year and are still doing good. This year I bought another 28 harlequins from exactly the same shop to add to my small school of 6. I was very weary buying them but the owner said he had had them for quite a few weeks in the shop eating well and being healthy...This time I was lucky, they're doing great.

I will try some more then Edvert! I have tried cucumber before.

Sciencefiction, when I wrote that post I had lost 8 out of the 16 harlequins I had put in. However since adding a group of danios I haven’t lost another fish. The confidence of the danios seemedto calm them down and everything has seemed happy since.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the ei dosing?

Great looking tank, love vallis tanks, they always look great. :thumbup:

As far as the bristlenose eating the sword plant, this is so common, i hear people all over the internet talking about it, pretty sure they just like the taste of sword plants no matter how much you feed them.

It's looking great! Now your plants have gone crazy, it might be worth trying that left piece of wood a bit further forward/angling it so it comes a bit between the two left clumps and is less hidden. You could then fit something else on or behind it that was half way between the vallis and (is that a dwarf sword or crypt?) in height.

Thanks, the vals are slowly getting algae at the moment though which is annoying.

Im not too bothered about the sword it grows really quickly so I just pull out the damaged leaves whenever I see them.

The do grow like crazy! I do a huge trim every couple of weeks otherwise the fish have no room left to swim in. I might try bringing the wood forward tam, thanks for the suggestion, although I’m not sure about adding anything else as I don’t want to overcrowd it. There is lots of plants on wood you just can’t see them. I will try it at the weekend and upload some photos.

Back