• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filtration system

Daniel Vanboyd

Seedling
Hi all,
I'm looking to purchase an oase biomaster thermo and was wondering what size to get. I've got an aquascaper 600 and was thinking of purchasing the 250l but it's flow rate is 900 l/h. I've read online articles and its said to at least get a filter that is 10 times the amount of litre capacity your tank holds, which would mean the flow rate should be around 1100 l/h. Oase say that the 250 is suitable for tanks up to 250 litres so was just wondering what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

The 10x rule only really applies to C02 enriched set up's so I guess that is what you are planning?
In which case 900lh should be ok in your tank but, that might depend on any accessories you might add in line.
The 10 x rule is there to help folk choose a filter, we need to have very good flow so the Co2 can be kept in suspension long enough for the plant to absorb the gas & to make sure it reaches all the corners.
However it is a guide ... some folk use more & some get away with slightly less.
You filter may be rated for 250lt but that will most likely be based on biological capacity, we don't need to worry so much about that aspect due to the nature of large water changes & the plants themselves purifying the water.

Back