• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

plant deficiency

Roediger

ok So something is really wrong now i see brown plants... even bacopas are going clear like its consuming its self to make more leaves..

Attachments

• 20180206_195749.jpg
    20180206_195749.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 253
  • 20180206_200010.jpg
    20180206_200010.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 192
  • 20180206_195527.jpg
    20180206_195527.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 177
  • 20180206_195448.jpg
    20180206_195448.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 186
  • 20180206_200015.jpg
    20180206_200015.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 181
  • 20180206_200005.jpg
    20180206_200005.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 160
Hello Roediger, that's some serious necrosis. Perhaps you could give us some info about your tank that would help us better diagnose whats wrong. A FTS would also be handy.
For instance, lighting period and intensity, filtration turnover, CO2 and fertz regime, how long has it been set up, when were the plants that are suffering introduced and what are your other plants like, etc.

upload_2018-2-7_9-7-47.png

so my tank is a 29 gal, with a finnex 24/7. at the moment, I have it at half intensity since at max settings it gives 60 par per finnex representative. so figured half way on lights should be about 30par i think!. my canister is a sunsqun 265gph. i have kitchen scrubbers as my media lol. my co2 is diffused by an inline diffuser which is at 3 to 4 bps. i am dosing EI per TNC site 500ml bottle 54grams ok kno3. and 8grams of kh2po4. and same goes for plantex chelated 16ml

i recently lowered the light. I think my problem is my nutrient dosing... i went light this time and this happened. it has never happened to me before... so I made a new mix yesterday after reading Clives dry salt article. going to dose 50ml of macro 3x a week and 25 chelated

tank has been up since may last year. i have eco complete substrate. I recently started to use osmocote plus under 2 ludwigia and 1 capsul under montecarlo to see if this would help roots

heres the shot

Attachments

• 20180122_161318.jpg
    20180122_161318.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 104
burr made some sugestions which i havent done yet. I will tho at my next WC

I think i know the answer to this but am gona go ahead an ask. with my lights being dimmer more. i dont want to decrease my co2 down and leave it at 3 to 4 bps. will this cause any issues. trying to kill off this bba on the rocks. dont want fluctuations.

Okay found Burrs advice, which seems sound. Aim for a gentle breeze and keep thing stable.

Your flow was very strong and those plants in direct stream of the outflow may have been experiencing mechanical damage.
There was also a lot of surface water movement which would also degas CO2 quite rapidly.

So I think the overriding factor has to be inconsistent CO2 flow and distribution. BBA is a good indicator of this. BBA also likes lots of flow.
The velocity of the flow from your filter is enough on its own now, so that's that problem fixed. You need to stabilise your CO2 now. Aim for lime green drop checker at lights on and all the way till lights off.

Okay found Burrs advice, which seems sound. Aim for a gentle breeze and keep thing stable.

Your flow was very strong and those plants in direct stream of the outflow may have been experiencing mechanical damage.
There was also a lot of surface water movement which would also degas CO2 quite rapidly.

So I think the overriding factor has to be inconsistent CO2 flow and distribution. BBA is a good indicator of this. BBA also likes lots of flow.
The velocity of the flow from your filter is enough on its own now, so that's that problem fixed. You need to stabilise your CO2 now. Aim for lime green drop checker at lights on and all the way till lights off.
I am dialing co2 slowly still. one issue i do have is my water level drops. wc happens on sat. so by wed thur water level has dropped and i top off the water atleast 1/2gal to 1 gal idk if thats bad? so I should focus on less agitation for a more stable co2. but with less agitation should i adjust the bps down or leave it at 4 bps for now?

Bps, doesn't really mean very much. You need a drop checker and 4dkh solution and an indicator solution to measure the CO2 conc.
That's why you should aim for lime green colour in the drop checker at lights on. Let that guide you.
Top your water level up daily and forget about it; then it shouldn't affect the equation.
Check out Clive's tut https://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=co2-measurement-using-a-drop-checker

Bps, doesn't really mean very much. You need a drop checker and 4dkh solution and an indicator solution to measure the CO2 conc.
That's why you should aim for lime green colour in the drop checker at lights on. Let that guide you.
Top your water level up daily and forget about it; then it shouldn't affect the equation.
Check out Clive's tut https://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=co2-measurement-using-a-drop-checker
ah ok, i do have a drop checker. came with fluval 4dkh. atm its green when lights come on. so I will keep tweaking until its lime green at start thanks!

Forgot something!!! My tanks run around 78 degree. is this a good temp?

what's more important in my case. i already start the co2 2hrs before lights on. drop checker is green not lime green. should i start co2 increase co2 30 min more or increase injection. My tank water is above the lily pipe by 3/8 and not alot of agitation happens anymore but there is some.

what u guys recommend?

If your drop checker remains green throughout the photoperiod increase injection rate
If it starts green and then turns lime green during the photoperiod start injection 2.5hrs before lights on, and see how you go.
It's a balancing act between the two adjustments. Remember you're aiming for lime green at lights on and throughout the photoperiod.
Either way keep a close eye on things until you have dialed your CO2 in successfully, you don't want to gas your critters.

ok Thank you. i will start testing more today since i am off for two days!

hello so today I will start my co2 changes . one silly note: i have a surface skimmer. says to give o2 to the water. cqn this skimmer mess with co2 alot?

Back