• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Thorichthys ellioti in planted tank

hi, I was wondering if any of you have had experience keeping these fish in planted tanks? From what I can gather they like a ph outside the parameters of my tank. My tank is heavily planted with pressurised co2, ph 6 - 6.5, kh 3 - 5 and gh of 5 - 7. Would the Ellioti suffer? Would they breed? It is a species only tank, previous fish where various apistogramma species. I have 11 coolie loach now (they bred) up to 4 inch, 5 ottos and 3 Siamese algae eaters. Anyone with experience who could help would be much appreciated
Thanks

I've kept Ellioti for around 3 years in fully planted tank with no issues. My ph is the same as yours, no issues with colour or health, but they have not bred

I've kept Ellioti for around 3 years in fully planted tank with no issues. My ph is the same as yours, no issues with colour or health, but they have not bred

Water hardness?

Ph, in itself doesn't really say anything.

Thanks for your input, Darren, as regards to water hardness it would appear they can tolerate up to 18 degrees, at my last reading it was 6, if i increased it to 10 Maybe 12 do you think that would suffice if ph, in your opinion, doesn't really say anything

Thanks for your input, Darren, as regards to water hardness it would appear they can tolerate up to 18 degrees, at my last reading it was 6, if i increased it to 10 Maybe 12 do you think that would suffice if ph, in your opinion, doesn't really say anything
I don't know anything about the fish in question
I have tried to compromise my water to suit hard and soft water fish but this middle ground didn't really work for either.

Right I see what your saying. I will have to do some research on my plants to see if they can handle harder slightly alkaline water. You would think South American cichlids would be mostly acidic soft water, I guess Mexico is alkaline!

Your plants will be fine.

If its a species only tank, you can target specific water hardness to suit this fish.

Based upon this article, likely your water parameters would be fine - other than possibly increasing pH ... though you don't mention tank size

Thorichthys maculipinnis inhabits the entire lowlands of the Papaloapan system below an altitude of 300 metres. All rivers with an average water temperature above 24°C are home to this beautiful fish, including large, wide rivers such as the Papaloapan itself as well as very small affluent creeks no more than a metre wide and 10 cm deep.

Note that fish are often more affected by changing parameters rather than a stable, exceptional parameter - in this instance, your pH.
Before embarking on a change in tank pH, look at tap water characteristics (contact your local water board if you can't find the details online) - what's the natural pH, is water board adjusting this, is your tank pH different, what happens when you adjust tank pH (how stable is the adjustment) etc

alright alto, my tank is a rio 180 litre, ok my tap water as it comes out the tap is 7.4, kh 9 dh 11, in my tank i push the ph down with co2 fertilization and keeping my kh at a set level, its very stable, i basically use kh to keep the ph where i want it. morning before lights on ph is 6.8, co2 timed to come on hour before lights, at end of photoperiod, ph is 6.5. i keep kh always between 3 and 5. i used to add baking soda to my 25% water change for kh, but now i do 50% weekly with the same affect. prehaps this isnt how its done but its the way that i like to do it, iv been doing it for 3 years with really good sucess. (photo on my other thread in diy section, under custom juwel lid) now to the moving ph up or down. im really unfamiliar with how i can do this? just brainstorming, to lower i would simply turn up co2 slightly and drop the kh a degree or 2. but to gain ph while keeping my co2 level where it is i dont understand, would i add a bag of coral sand(or something similar) to the filters and add a couple of grams per week to reach the ph i want?

I must bring this thread back to life.. I've got lots of these fish thriving off hard London water, breeding... Once my planted 5' tank is completed I will look to put some in ;)

Anyone else seen these fish, they are colourful and good community fish.

Ashley..
Aqua oak tanks 4'x2'x2' & 5'x2'x2' both freshwater set up on apex Neptune systems.
Mortgage & Protection Adviser Full Time, Peace

Last edited:
For those needing proof ;)

58750e6a2291d04c7b2d3f1c3372a7ea.jpg
0bbdef88311a753edaba283972cd9616.jpg

Thorichthys maculipinnis/Thorichthys Ellioti/Ellioti cichlid ;)

Ashley..
Aqua oak tanks 4'x2'x2' & 5'x2'x2' both freshwater set up on apex Neptune systems.
Mortgage & Protection Adviser Full Time, Peace

Back