• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

T5 Light intensity

AzzaM74

Seedling
Hi,

I am running 2x39w T5 lights in a hood for 8 hours a day on a 100cm wide 40cm deep tank. Would this be considered suitable for a low tech setup? I have tried to get my head around light intensity and PAR but get very confused.

PARforVariousBulbs.jpg

This should give you the info: one bulb already is high light at 17/18 inches, two is double (directly under the tube)

I'd say two T5 bulbs is a little too high for a low-energy tank, even with LC...although strictly speaking dosing LC makes your tank high-energy.
You may find that you'd be better off with just one bulb, at least until your plants have settled in and grown.
To be successful with two bulbs you really need a massive amount of plant biomass and floaters, otherwise algae will probably become a problem.
Also, if your tank is newly set up I'd reduce the photoperiod to 6 hours for several weeks, and once your plants have settled in gradually increase it to 8 hours if you feel there is a need to.

Back