• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Empty Canister as a power head?

Aled X08

Seedling
So I recently started up a new tank to replace my old one and I was thinking I might use my old Eheim without any media to help with circulation round the tank. Is it worth it or am I better off running two filters? Although I'm sure the current filter is man enough

I have an aquascaper 900 with an eheim 600T running lily pipes but and I was considering getting one of those surface skimmer inlets on the extra filter to help clear surface scum and increase general circulation. Most plants are swaying with just the 600 but can't tell if I have an dead spots yet. Might be too early. Any opinions?
Here's an album with some algae problems I'm having so you can see the layout to see if it needs more circulation.
Thanks

Me thinks if I was gonna run another filter for flow,and not as CO2 reactor,I may as well fill the canister at least partially, with some type of mechanical media to take advantage of more filtration along with increased flow.

I have an in tank diffuser so wouldn't use it for that.

I'm just wondering if it's better for circulation with the media to reduce flow or better for over all healthy to have some media to really.

Thanks for the replies.

Time for a test! Measure the difference and see. My guess is with a little media there won't be much difference if it is not tightly packed.

Then you will have some data to work with for flow.

From a biological filtration perspective, I see it is useful as a backup. Always good to have some redundancy in the system.

Back