• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter media for high tech

Rob Wilkinson

Hi All

What filter media do you use for a high tech tank?
At the moment I have foam and ceramic media in an Oase Filtosmart 100

Thinking of adding some floss and purigen to polish up the water a bit.

Thanks

Have standard foam and a handful of ceramic rings on each layer (FX4 filter). The plants and bacteria covering the surface area within the tank do a lot of the filtering.

Haven’t tested my water for ages but when I last did everything was zero (expect nitrates due to ferts).

Unless you actually need those additional bits, I wouldn’t bother. Works out much cheaper to stick to the basics and forces you to address issues rather than continually treat them.

Well if you have a flourishing tank full of healthy plants & you change 50% of the water every week, what sort of biological media you use is not really important!
However, open media like course sponge or bio balls allows for better flow. Floss will very quickly reduce the flow rate

Great advice thanks both..

My water quality (in terms of toxins) is top notch, but it isn't necessarily crystal clear so I was thinking of adding something to polish it up. But I get that flow is massively important as well for getting CO2 and nutrients around the tank.

I'm already doing 50% water change once a week, thinking of even doing it twice a week.

You could leave your existing filter as it is, and add a second, cheap filter, filled with just floss. If that clears the water in a few days, you can remove it again.

Back