• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Juwel Trigon 350 build

I've been battling with BBA and other types of thread algae including some fluorescent green fur type. Looks like I've finally got on top of it now. I ended up taking all the wood out of my tank and scrubbing it with a toothbrush. Still got a bit of BBA but it's not getting ant worse and seems to be slowly disappearing. I was reading swordtails love to eat BBA so I'm thinking of getting a couple this weekend.

Here's the tank now.
20161202_200517.jpg
20161202_200526.jpg

Ok I've been struggling with lots of different types of algae for a while now and have been loosing so I'm thinking of taking everything out of the tank and cleaning it with bleach and liquid carbon. I'm going to save what plants I can and bin the rest. I think I have 2 big issues one is my CO2 and the second is water circulation.

I've been working on a new design for a sump which will help fix these issues. The sump will incorporate a second pump that will feed a CO2 reactor and a media reactor (thinking purigen), I took my design to Atomic Reactor who make acrylic sumps and there building the sump It's nearly completed and I should be posting images soon.

It's got 2 filter socks, a drip tower with multiple media compartments and the reactors in the final compartment.

I suspect all the answers to my questions are in the text of the journal but although I scrolled through a couple times I was still :confused: :oops:

I find a summary list such as the one at the start of Luis Cardosa's Through The Forest very helpful
(I believe you can go back & update/edit as well - though perhaps that feature has been lost with forum upgrades)

I think I have 2 big issues one is my CO2 and the second is water circulation.
have you run tests to visualize the water circulation?
the CO2?

Depending on your CO2 system (again apologies for my confusion) you might add a manifold & run a diffuser in the tank as well as the sump reactor while you sort out the plant vs algae balance

I believe Juwel has done some stunning display tanks with stock lighting
even luminosity for your TRIGON 350 with a power input of 2x24 and 2x45Watt.
What lights are you running? photoperiod? fertilizers?

Water change details?

I find a summary list such as the one at the start of Luis Cardosa's Through The Forest very helpful
Hi here's summary -

Tank: Juwel Trigon 350 - Corner tank 87cm x 60cm

Cabinet: Juwel Trigon

Lights: iQuatics Juwel compatible 100cm unit 2 x 45w + 2 x 35w, Juwel 55cm light unit 2 x 24w all with reflectors. Lights are on 7 hours a day

Filtration: Custom 90 litre sump

Other: CO2 supermaket single stage

Hardscape: Bogwood, mountain stone

Substrate: Cal Aqua Lab Green base with Black Earth soil

Fertilization: Easy-life Profito + Easy-Life Ferro

Water Parameters
PH - 7 (6.5 when co2 is on)
TDS - 330
NO3 - 20
NO2 - 0
GH - 8
KH - 5
PO4 - 2
CO2 - 25mg/l now (was 10mg/l) according to liquid co2 direct test

When I originally set the tank up I had big issues with Diatoms, they have gone now but I now have problems with black and green bear algae, thread algae. cladopholra algae, brush algae, staghorn and blue/green algae. The wood is the worst affected area I've taken it all out and scrubbed it but now the algae is back worse than ever.

I was using CO2 supermarkets all in one dry salt ferts every day but after testing my tap water I've switched to Easy-life Profito + Easy-Life Ferro as my tapwater has a PO4 reading of 2mg/l and I have discus in the tank so the weekly ferts I use now don't contain PO4.

Given the extent of the algae issue I think my best option is to take all the hardscape out and treat the rocks with bleach and wood with liquid carbon then clean the inside of the tank with hydrogen peroxide and get a fresh back of plants, unless there is a way I can gett rid or the various algae's which are on the plants.

Here's a sneak preview of my new sump, not finished yet but should be done in a few days :)

sump-1.jpg
sump-2.jpg

Been a while since I last posted. I've been having lots of algae problems so ended up stripping the tank cleaning all the surfaces saving what plants I could and then buying new I 've now more or less got the algae under control now. I still have some beard algae but this is only on the rocks and wood and is slowly dying after weeks and weeks of spot liquid carbon dosing.

I found my my biggest issue causing the algae was fluctuating CO2 levels and flow in the tank. I've not made a new spraybar and increased the flow so now I'm getting much better flow distribution in the tank. I'm also running my CO2 constantly to avoid the fluctuations and here are the results -

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

My new sump is setup now and been running for a few months. I added 2 reactor to the final chamber, the first one is a purigen moving bed reactor and the second is a denitrate reactor, both reactors and return feed to the tank are run from a Jecod DCP6000 pump.
s3.jpg
s2.jpg
s1.jpg

Hope you are still around and well done for sticking in there Davib.

Aqua oak tanks 4'x2'x2' & 5'x2'x2' both freshwater set up on apex Neptune systems.
Mortgage & Protection Adviser Full Time,
Peace

Back