• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my aquascape Fire away with your thoughts

Danny

What do you guys think of this and my plant list? I have ordered the following plants, any other plant ideas?

• Bucephalandra sp. "Deep Purple"
  • Bucephalandra sp. "Red"
  • Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Rubella'
  • Cryptocoryne albida 'Brown'
  • Cryptocoryne beckettii "Petchii"
  • Cryptocoryne wendtii "brown"
  • Hygrophila pinnatifida
  • Rotala rotundifolia 'Orange Juice'
  • Riccia fluitans
  • Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping Moss'
  • Vesicularia sp. "Creeping Moss"
  • Monosolenium tenerum
  • Vesicularia "Christmas Moss"
    26172391_167249077378386_6738209331590950477_o.jpg

I feel there are too many red plants surrounding the wood, maybe it will soften when you throw in some green into the mix, but I think you should concentrate the red to make a focal point. I feel that too much red is too overpowering to look at, green is a lot easier on the eye. Is this going to be CO2 (I would guess so) ? Will there be a carpet ?
I really like the top-heavy look and think it would look great if the wood was covered in mosses growing emersed as well with buce (maybe anubias?) littered in it, which I hope is your plan. The scape reminds me of a 5ish Gallon that ADU Aquascaping if you know what I mean and I envisage the same planting on the rock on your own scape.
IMG_1333.JPG

Was just going to mention that I feel the rock work might be a bit stacked up and I'm unsure the rock behind the v formed by the wood is adding anything.
Anyway cool scape with great wood. Could you please add some more photos from some different angles, especially showing off the wood that breaks the surface (I saw it in another post). For plant suggestions I don't know: a (partial) carpet, some anubias, Java fern and maybe some more buce;)

Danny

To be perfectly honest its a bit late asking for thoughts on plant list when you have already ordered them. As for your Aquascape its appears to be too big for your tank. This can cause a problem for your plants as a large percentage of the capacity space is taken up with the bulky hardscape. Then there is another concern you will have to know the exact water capacity when you are adding any to your tank.

As one alternative I would like to see it with out any rocks.

Keith:wave::wave:

Good points guys and ones I've been thinking about, since getting carried away ordering a ton of plants I've sat looking at the tank thinking to myself what am I going to do with them all lol

The AR I considered having in the substrate with mixed crypts instead of a carpet, in terms of the hardscape being too big for the tank I am sure it is although magnified in the tank it does look bigger than it is.

I'll be replacing the substrate so may well end up 're doing this aswell to give myself more planting space for the field of plants heading my way lol

A couple of different angles, I'm going to 're scape it today. I'm glad all of this is happening while it's still cycling so I can just pull it all apart, I don't think I would be as willing if it had fish in.
20180106_112359.jpg
20180106_112417.jpg
20180106_112422.jpg
20180106_112430.jpg

Danny

I'll be replacing the substrate so may well end up 're doing this as well to give myself more planting space for the field of plants heading my way lol

Seeing you are going to completely strip the tank down it could easily clog your filter up which will have to be fully cleaned. Cycling a tank can be done under a week easily if you the good products.

My suggestion now is get all your hardscape perfect in a mock tank.
0A%20A%20Box%20Aquascape%20mock%20Tank%20_edited-1.jpg

If you had done this in the first place you would be ready for planting now.

Keith:wave::wave:

Back