• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

An attempt to aquascape - The rock bottom

Ulfsark

Hello, friends,

A week ago I moved to live into a new apartment. Since I never moved with an aquarium, dreaded the moving of the tank for a few months now. I second hand bought my old aquarium and it was not looking very attractive - scratched glass and etc. It looked really worn down. So it felt suiting to buy a new tank for a new place. Before new aquarium I was only trying to grow plants in my first tank, here is the thread for it https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/my-first-planted-tank.42944/

Now I've actually tried to aquascape for the first time in my life. I've had some driftwood on which I was growing out plants for my future tank. Also I bought +20 kg of rock for the bottom part of the tank:
20171230_211423.jpg

I know, that it is trendy to give your tank a name, hence I've called it The rock bottom. Here is the starting out picture:
20171231_131032.jpg

Since I am strict for not having a bunch of aquariums, I needed to move fish ASAP to my new tank. I had already mature filter and decided to use a bucket of substrate from my old tank to transfer some beneficial bacteria. For some reason as I've put first two pieces of wood (had 4 in total ) it caught my eye. I like the view already and got rid of other pieces of wood.
20171231_160904.jpg

20171231_160907.jpg

20171231_171809.jpg

The water was cloudy on after filling up:
20171231_183055.jpg

On a second day I've added fish from my old tank (schools of panda corries, neon tetras and harlequin rasboras):
20180101_192906.jpg

Today is day 4 and the water looks quite clear:
20180104_150900.jpg

20180104_150914.jpg

20180104_150849.jpg

Looks pretty nice for your first aquascape! Quick tip, if you smooth out your substrate in the front and add a low in front, high in back substrate slope, you can give the illusion that the aquarium looks deeper than it is. :)

Quick question, what is the leafy green plant directly under the largest Java Fern leaf and surrounded by needle leaf java fern? Thanks.

Looks pretty nice for your first aquascape! Quick tip, if you smooth out your substrate in the front and add a low in front, high in back substrate slope, you can give the illusion that the aquarium looks deeper than it is. :)

Quick question, what is the leafy green plant directly under the largest Java Fern leaf and surrounded by needle leaf java fern? Thanks.

Thanks, if I understood correctly it's java fern windelov.

Looks fantastic , but I would raise the light to 10-15 cm above the tank to avoid BBA and i would add a surface skimmer

I will raise lights. I'm waiting for a shipment of a light mounting kit. Currently only two of four light bulbs are on.

New light with a hanging kit came only today. Finally I was able to raise the lights, however the damage has been already done. All tank is a one big algae infestation :( Looks really bad, any tips on battling it out?

20180129_192847.jpg

That's looking spectacular now it's grown in.
What make is your new light?
Thanks.
I got rid of new chihiros A series plus 1201 LED light, since it was faulty when I've got it from retailer and went back to regular T5 fixture. Now I only turn on 2x54w T5 tubes.

If this is your first, I'd like to see your work in a couple of years! Very impressed.

Been busy for almost two weeks and completely neglected the tank. Today did a big maintenance:
20180327_173732.jpg

Looks like the BBA and other kinds of algae are dying off. Rocks aren't as black as they used to be. All around the tank feels pretty established, let's hope I will finally be able to relax for a bit and enjoy it more:
20180327_203827.jpg

Back