• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stopping Shrimps and Fry ending up in the filter

Hello,

Does anyone have any advice on how I stop shrimp crawling into the inlet of my fluval 306?

It has a ball in it but the gap is big enough for the smaller shrimps to crawl into and up into the filter. I've tried putting some foam in the bottom inlet but it gradually clogs and reduces flow (talking a few days).

Any better ideas? Would something like either a foam prefilter inlet work? or maybe on of those eheim pre filters?

Thanks and any DIY ideas welcome :)

or cover the inlet nozzle with some old stockings or cut an old fish catch net up and wrap around inlet nozzle.

paul
I tried that but it ended up being sucked tight against the strainer and then ended up reducing flow quite a bit.

I've some filter foam coming tomorrow and then a metal cage thingy sometime this month.

Will see how they go. For now I've used a clear yogurt pot with what was a filter bag for porous ceramics. Ugly as sin but works for now :)

Thanks all

Arrghhh I don't buy from Aqua Essentials (bad experience five years ago) but found something similar on ebay so thank you very much Nelson :) Looks like just the ticket

Hinterfeld sells them too.. :)

Arrghhh I don't buy from Aqua Essentials (bad experience five years ago) but found something similar on ebay so thank you very much Nelson :) Looks like just the ticket

I got mine through the bay in a 2 pack from China. They work really well and I just swap them over every water change then clean the used one. It's less of a pain that way. They did take some slight modification though as the sizes weren't very precise. The rubber seal at the top was too big for the pipe that it should have fitted on so I had to cut it in half to give more room but after that it fits like a glove and has worked perfectly for the last few years.

Back