• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Options for thermo filter 60L tank

Rob Wilkinson

Hi All

What are the options out there for an external filter that includes external heating for a 60 litre ADA 60-P tank?

So far I've looked at the Oase BioMaster , Filtrosmart and Ehiem Thermo. The smallest of all of these could be extreme overkill for a 60L.

I was also thinking of a normal filter (such as Ecco pro 130) and an inline heater (HYDOR) but read lots of reviews about these getting stuck on and cooking the tank so I've ditched that plan.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
R

Any heater can get stuck on and it does happen. You could always use another thermal sensor to turn the heaters on and off, then at least you will have a fail safe if that gets stuck on. The other option is no heater OFC.

I have twin Hydors with an extra thermal probe. which turns heaters on/off

Lots of choices, how deep are your pockets

Hi Rob
I am currently running the Oase FiltoSmart Thermo 100 Aquarium External Filter!
On a 40cm cube about 67 litres volume....I wouldn't say it was too powerful....once you add media this reduces the output somewhat!
filter-e8c566654534abebb9994eb47d6e85dd_small.w100.jpg

hoggie

You could always use another thermal sensor to turn the heaters on and off

That's a great shout, I hadn't thought of that.

how deep are your pockets

I was thinking £200 for filter/heater set-up. Perhaps something like:
Ehiem Ecco Pro 130 = £80
Hydor in-line = £60
Inkbird thermostat = £30

Thanks for the tips.

Hi Rob
I am currently running the Oase FiltoSmart Thermo 100 Aquarium External Filter!
On a 40cm cube about 67 litres volume....I wouldn't say it was too powerful....once you add media this reduces the output somewhat!
filter-e8c566654534abebb9994eb47d6e85dd_small.w100.jpg

hoggie

Thanks, good to know. That's the one I was looking at, I read some reviews that it runs a bit noisy, have you found that?

Thanks all,

I went for the Oase as it was half the price of the Eheim, so more funds to spend on the next upgrade :D

20171228_224905.jpg

20171228_230023.jpg

I just need to upgrade the outflow/inflow pipes as they are pretty ugly.

Back