• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Equipment upgrade priorities - seeking advice

Rob Wilkinson

Hi all,

I'm new to the hobby, my tank has been set-up for 10 days, here's a picture and spec as follows:
ADA 60-P 60cm x 36cm x 30cm
ADA aquasoil
Fluval U2 filter
Easycarbo CO2 1ml daily
No liquid ferts for now (but I have TNC complete on hand)
Cheap readily available ebay white/blue LED 1500 lumens 8000K light unit (Aquerien eco)

20171224_191431.jpg

The plants don't seem to be thriving, a couple (*) are struggling more than others, these are:

Background
- Hygrophila guanensis
- Alternanthera cardinalis Variegata (*)

Midground
- Crypt Wendtii
- Lilaeopsis novea-zelandia

Foreground
- Micranthemum monte carlo
- Hydrocotyle verticillata (*)

My end game is a clutter free tank (external filter etc) and high tech set-up (diffused CO2 etc). What would you say my biggest upgrade priority is and what make/model would you recommend on a reasonable budget?

My heart says to get an external filter next and de-clutter the tank, my head says that the light unit needs attention.

hi, 10 days is too soon to make any judgement about what's doing well/not well. Id give it at least 4 weeks to let plants settle in.

If your priority is plant health and you want hi tech, the co2 should be top of the list. Don't worry about the light, it will be sufficient (lighting was my priority when I started too).

K

Hi
It is good idea to upgrade your filter first before U start with CO2.This will help with the CO2 distribution.
I have noticed that the Easycarbo dose is too low for your tank.I will go for 1 ml per 25l of water. U dont say how long is your photoperiod.It is good to have it arround 6 hours as your plant mass is low atm.
And most importantly keep up with waterchanges and removing debris from tank.If not daily at least two or tree times per week is a good practice
Regards Konsa

Thanks all, great advice. I will:

- Start dosing TNC complete weekly
- Change photo period to 6 hours
- Increase easycarbo dosing to 2ml per day
- Purchase a new filter (looking at Ehiem Eco Pro 130, does anyone have any thoughts on this model?)
- Start twice weekly ~20% water change and clean
- Look at CO2 system within the next couple of months

hi, 10 days is too soon to make any judgement about what's doing well/not well. Id give it at least 4 weeks to let plants settle in.

Agree 100%

Start dosing TNC Complete

Agree 100% or which ever fert you plan to use, you may not need it as you have ADS AS but it will do no harm adding the Ferts.

Some would advise you you tank is already High tech, the moment you started adding Easycarbo CO2 (LCO2), timming of adding LCO2 is critical too , Just before lights on is best for plants.

Going down the gas injected CO2 is a big jump and has many pitfalls and expenses like Konsa mention with the filter and flow. I would be tempted to keep it as it is ATM and see how it goes.

Thanks Zeus.
I'll def. go for just the filter upgrade for now then as the current one is ugly and I'd like to go external.

Then I'll give it some time and see how things settle with the other adjustments.

Back