• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hillside view turned into South American "biotope"

The black back definitely looks a lot better and with the small light (evening glow) it looks smashing to me atleast.
20171124_191135klein.jpg

For some reason I enjoy this tank more than my previous havely planted tanks, I guess it is that I'm no longer stressed about a bit of algae here and there or plants not growing as well is I hoped, it's all natural now and I actually hope to get some nice green algae on the stones. Before, fish were less important, they only complemented the tank, but now they became the main feature and I love looking at their behaviour, don't even turn on the TV.

I need to make a better picture of the evening view, but here is a preview.....
20171120_202501 klein.jpg

BTW, don't know if anyone noticed, I'm going for a biotope style in this setup, not sure if the hairgrass should be in it, but it looks good for now. It's not a realistic biotope per say, there are some Amano shrimp in it and the stones, and wood are not really from South America, I just try to catch that natural feeling of South America. It is a tank dedicated to Cardinal Tetras, something where they feel and look at home.
Any comments are welcome.

If going for biotope style try the light on the other side of the tank. The middle of the stream has more light then the sides, some more wood and floaters on the hill side to give them dark hiding places.

Thanks Edvet, I am thinking of getting some clip on lights, but no floating plants, however I will add some Cabomba which will be allowed to grow to the surface and hopefully give me the pleasure of forming those Lily like leaves. As I said, I'm not trying to have a real biotope, more just something I like and looks natural.

The swords are reaching the top of the water now, growing very good..... the hairgrass, which has been planted in the sand, is starting to grow and to encourage it to grow more, I cut it back to about 1.5 cm....
No (green) algae growing yet, I hope they will invate the stones soon.

not sure if the hairgrass should be in it
I think that's fine. Eleocharis has a cosmopolitan distribution with centres of diversity in the amazon Rainforest, amongst other places.

I'm finding it so much more enjoyable with my blackwater tanks.Who care's if there's a bit if algae.

Must admit I'm beginning to feel the pull of a more fish-centric tank again, especially looking at yours Neil, and this one.

Must be something in the air right now. I'm about to embark on a low tech setup with a blackwater feel to it and I haven't even gave the plants much of a thought. There will be some don't get me wrong but it will purely be survival of the fittest. Going to try various cutting of the numerous plants I have in other setups and if they don't like the way the water comes out of my tap other than the addition of some fertiliser as and when required then they will have to go. Going to concentrate more on the fish needs and enjoying watching what they do as opposed to stressing over what my plants are ailing this week.

The tank has been sold :(...... As most of you know I live in China, but now there are plans to move back to Holland :) and I can not (dare not) to take the tank with me on the airplane. I still have the 40cm cube tank and ofcourse I will set up a new tank as soon as possible when I'm back.
I have to say, it was heart breaking to see it go, but live is full of surprises and who knows where it will lead me.

Back