• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Forest Pathway

This is such an odd statement (can I say that without offence? I hope so :) )
There is very much "symmetry in nature" - with books & papers published on this subject ... try "google scholar" as well as "google" for texts & images
but it is very difficult to recreate in an aquascape

@Konrad Michalski - intriguing journal!
especially with that spontaneous trip to Portugal & Submersas Florestas & Aquaeden, can't wait to see where this journal takes you next :D
Thanks Alto. Well I hope it won't end up with loads of problems like co2 distribution issues, algae etc

Reminds me a little of one of these:).
20170806_091209-1024x768.jpg

After visiting Aquaeden Shop and seeing ADA Solar RGB above one of their tanks I thought it would be nice to get one of these and test it with the current, mature tank. I was thinking for a long time and couldn't quite convince myself mainly because of the price. After I heard Ryan ordered his I thought I will give it a go and in the worst scenario I will just sell it.
636f615459e11e7913c189ae33e27eee.jpg

a72988f9fffab7fc9b0627e5f2929799.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After visiting Aquaeden Shop and seeing ADA Solar RGB above one of their tanks I thought it would be nice to get one of these and test it with the current, mature tank. I was thinking for a long time and couldn't quite convince myself mainly because of the price. After I heard Ryan ordered his I thought I will give it a go and in the worst scenario I will just sell it.
636f615459e11e7913c189ae33e27eee.jpg

a72988f9fffab7fc9b0627e5f2929799.jpg

Oh yeah. You got to love the colours. Red plant really look good and fish too

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

Thanks for a good words guys but after I used them lava rocks I knew right away I won't have that in my tank. I could see that lava and wood is a big contrast already. If I added light colour sand there (which I was planning to do) it would just create a big mess. The final decision was to replace them with Seiryu stones. My choice wasn't huge and I promised to myself not to go shopping again. It was really hard to make something out of them and even now I would happily replace one or two but that will just have to wait. So, my final scape before moving it onto the tank looked roughly like that:
6f1b28d94ffa95e020b46672e3083a7e.jpg

There were still small pieces of wood to be added and because of the bottom of the sand pit I couldn't really imagine how the base of the layout is going to look like but I just had to hope it will all be ok once in the tank.

I still belive lava looks better. With plants, the contrast will be not so evident. But, again, it depends of the planting plan. Still, you are the one that should like it, not us.

I still belive lava looks better. With plants, the contrast will be not so evident. But, again, it depends of the planting plan. Still, you are the one that should like it, not us.
That's why I tried lava and seiryu to give myself some choice. To me in daylight seiryu were looking much, much better so without any thinking I decided to go for them.
Maybe if you use a substrate with a "transitory" colour, this will act as a buffer between rocks and roots...
This time I decided to go for ADA substrate and to be honest I like the dark colour of Amazonia the most. Also it is reachest in nutrients comparing to the Malaya or Africana

Remember the wood will turn also very dark. You can cover lava stones with mosses by yoghurt method. Nice depth ;)
Thanks Nigel. I wasn't going to use much of a moss at the substrate level as I wanted the roots and rocks to be sort of more visible. With this type of layout bottom parts are not very well accessible so if I let the moss grow on rocks and wood maintenance wood become a never ending story but unfortunately my time is very limited at the moment. And believe me, with good lighting, fresh substrate we are talking about at least weekly trimming. If I did what you suggested it would look much more natural though.

In the end of the day, the most important achievement of your scape (just my opinion, of course) is the almost perfect effect of ... old alley bordered by trees!
Looks like an alley to an old castle, like those from old moovies I use to watch at TV ... 40 years ago !!! I don't remember well what moovie but definitely an adaptation after Charles Dickens or Warwick Deeping ...

Hi all. As always I owe apologies to those who followed my thread. Unfortunately I was so busy with work and family that I never got a chance to update what was going on with my tank. My plan was to start uploading only good quality photos but on the end of the day I’m more than sure that I will never have time for that. So today I decided just to go ahead and post a few photos taken with my phone. They are not great quality but at least will give you an idea where process of moving hardscape to the tank took me.
9da7ef9ba07782035abc488b42f3d575.jpg

ccce2c42b1b6c4d8e70acc15cb90f32c.jpg

c88d7fb50da4f8ebc9b29ae478e06a33.jpg

1f43833b48b8b58ae543b040fc0d51a4.jpg
d56f2233f19300b75e24783cd9e0787a.jpg

3c8ab281754489b291c6309bef48db4b.jpg

And complete layout ready for planting
920e687cd7a674f28e3657d16bed859a.jpg

Back