• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cliff & Plateau

Looks to be an improvement, hard to tell from that angle, what plants do you have planned for this tank? If all low carpeting plants they may be blocked if the soil at the back doesn't bank up higher than the stones in front, again hard to tell due to the angle of the photo, if using stems at the back I can see having stones higher than the soil working.

Looks to be an improvement, hard to tell from that angle, what plants do you have planned for this tank? If all low carpeting plants they may be blocked if the soil at the back doesn't bank up higher than the stones in front, again hard to tell due to the angle of the photo, if using stems at the back I can see having stones higher than the soil working.

Makes sense. Well, here another perspective before I keep working on it.

DSC00886.jpg

I removed a few larger stones added way more soil and 2 smaller accent stones.

Plants will be only Hemianthus Callitrichoides Cuba, MAYBE some Eleocharis sp. Mini or Ammania sp. Bonsai.

I don't want to add many small stones, even though they put the larger ones to scale, I hate cluttered and overcrowded scapes.

Am I on the right path?

DSC0899.jpg

DSC0900.jpg

Hi,

even if you don't like small stones being everywhere, I would think about adding some to smooth the transition of the cliffs. Currently they appear pretty straight to me and with some smaller stones adding to them this would look better. That being said, I like the start you made here ;)

Note that any of those "sharp" edges with the soil will disappear with water - soil is slippery stuff ;)
& a good thing too as it means a more natural slope shape will appear

If you want rockwork to look more "natural" pay attention to the strata lines - they should flow same direction, especially if rocks are stacked in a particular shape, tumbled rocks will/may vary more in strata lines

- but then I prefer the rock style of this tank

Mighty Cave

You may have a very different view in mind :)

If you look at the rock scape packages at Buce Plant, they do a fair bit of mixing up of strata lines

As you're doing an Iwagumi, you may want to look at effects of water & light on the stone colours as well
Bleaching the seiryu type stone will usually return them to more until form oxidation (color) state - if that's your preference

It's fantastic to see soil & rock in this tank :D

Hi,

even if you don't like small stones being everywhere, I would think about adding some to smooth the transition of the cliffs. Currently they appear pretty straight to me and with some smaller stones adding to them this would look better. That being said, I like the start you made here ;)

Note that any of those "sharp" edges with the soil will disappear with water - soil is slippery stuff ;)
& a good thing too as it means a more natural slope shape will appear

If you want rockwork to look more "natural" pay attention to the strata lines - they should flow same direction, especially if rocks are stacked in a particular shape, tumbled rocks will/may vary more in strata lines

- but then I prefer the rock style of this tank

Mighty Cave

You may have a very different view in mind :)

If you look at the rock scape packages at Buce Plant, they do a fair bit of mixing up of strata lines

As you're doing an Iwagumi, you may want to look at effects of water & light on the stone colours as well
Bleaching the seiryu type stone will usually return them to more until form oxidation (color) state - if that's your preference

It's fantastic to see soil & rock in this tank :D

That linked Mighty Cave tank is a great example. The tank looks awesome for what it tries to reassemble, but I'm not looking to make a copy of nature per-se. That Mighty Cave tank is very well executed but yet just another "typical" scape. As you guys might remember from past posts, I want Iwagumi STYLE tanks without adhering to all the Iwagumi rules.

I think I have to set myself free and just get it done. If I'm trying to incorporate other ideas the entire plan won't work out and I'm going to end up with either something I don't want or it will be some weird compromised that doesn't look good to anybody.

I remember the Iwagumi bit :) - the link was for rockwork that aligns strata & "fits" rock pieces together, which is a style that I like (obviously :lol: )

I preferred the cliff aspect you had in Post #218
& those bigger rocks, though I'd tumble them down a bit

I'd like to see (you try) a single "cliff face" with the edge reaching across the diagonal into the back left corner

But in the end, it's only about what you want to see when you look at your tanks :cool:

Just subscribed, I saw what happened with your post in the planted tank forum. I honestly hate that guy, he gave me an "infraction for writing sh*t, it was spelled just like that not even the whole word. And when other people don't even abbreviate thinks that should definitely be abbreviated or not types at all. I'm "somewhatshocked" that he is a forum admin LOL <-- see what I did there lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeps us updated here, I am keen to see your big tank progress!

Just subscribed, I saw what happened with your post in the planted tank forum. I honestly hate that guy, he gave me an "infraction for writing sh*t, it was spelled just like that not even the whole word. And when other people don't even abbreviate thinks that should definitely be abbreviated or not types at all. I'm "somewhatshocked" that he is a forum admin LOL <-- see what I did there lol

I'm not surprised at all. AFAIK he is not an admin, only a mod. But I sent a PM to the admin letting him know that I'm out because his mod likes to trigger reactions in order to pull out his hammer. Eventually the admins and site owner will see the bigger picture. Or not, I'd don't care.

Keeps us updated here, I am keen to see your big tank progress!

Will do. I think I finally got all my personal stuff out of the way, including cleaning up after hurricane Irma flew through my area at category 2 to 3.

Well guys, I finally did it. There is now life in one of my 3 tanks! And it is the rarest fish there is. None of you owns this species! He even changes colors!

DSC00904.jpg

DSC00920.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

This little fella was stuck on my porch which is completely enclosed with a mosquito screen. I tried to make him leave over several days by keping the door open but he was stubborn and playing hide and seek. Until today when I finally lured him into a Tupperware container. As a thank you for tricking me over the days he will be occupying a tank until the first plants arrive. Play stupid games, win stupid prices!

And now I'm off catching small flies. :confused:

I'm finally back! Had so much personal stuff to do, it just didn't stop. I'm really sorry!

Anyway, enough of the excuses.

I will start with tank No 2 (Kitchen counter), get it running stable, gather some first experiences and then move on to the main tank and the one in the bed room. I'm about to order the plants but need to know how many cups I should order. At this point I rather order more in order to grow the carpe quicker.

The kitchen tank is only 36 x 22cm.

I'll order:

1.) Main carpet: Callitricoides "Cuba" (Dwarf Baby tears)
https://aquaforestaquarium.com/prod...ant-hemianthus-callitricoides-cuba-s-size-cup

2.) Background: AFA Tissue Culture Plant - Eleocharis Acicularis
https://aquaforestaquarium.com/prod...re-plant-eleocharis-acicularis-cup-size-short

How many cups should I get? 10 and 4?

Hello mccarthy

Been reading through your journal with great interest. Love all thought and planning you put in each of you tanks.

Like you I'm I definitely into the minimise look of iwagumi style scapes.

Recently started a new iwagumi scape myself, which is now going through the long Dsm period to give me a better chance of getting Ug carpet :nailbiting:. Not decided what fish and shrimp I was going have, but might consider similar blue Rummynose Rasbora and blue tiger shrimp that you have considered, would look fantastic, if I can find them locally.

Really looking forward to seeing how your tanks progress and if you'll managed to get one of them up and running before Christmas... :p

Looks alittle to symmetric if you don't mind me saying so, have you considered using a smaller rock on the right or burying deeper into substrate, might make it look more natural, thou this could be done with your planting.

I've noticed an asymmetric scape will help create depth, which can be very difficult to achieve in smaller tanks.

Look forward see how this scape progress.

Agree with above the back area is a little to symmetrical, also when you have rocks that close to the glass it can be a pain to clean, if you get green algae on the glass you will be wishing you had some clearance for a razor or sponge etc

Looks alittle to symmetric if you don't mind me saying so, have you considered using a smaller rock on the right or burying deeper into substrate, might make it look more natural, thou this could be done with your planting.

I've noticed an asymmetric scape will help create depth, which can be very difficult to achieve in smaller tanks.

Look forward see how this scape progress.

Agree with above the back area is a little to symmetrical, also when you have rocks that close to the glass it can be a pain to clean, if you get green algae on the glass you will be wishing you had some clearance for a razor or sponge etc

I know what you guys mean, but if I take a stone out I will have people telling me again that the number of stones needs to be uneven. If I add 2 more stones, it will be crowded and I do want carpet to be able to grow around every single stone.

I'll try to move the upper stones away from the glass a bit, even though the right top stones is covering the glassware nicely and I'd hate having to give that "feature" up. I do have a very long and thin stainless steel razor-handle that won't need much space. Will have to test that.

Back