• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nigel's Forest scape 128L

Day 60

Added 2 "trees" in the back. Not sure about the tree added on the left in the back. The tree added in the middle looks good IMO. Tried to tie some weeping moss from my other scape on some branches. Hard job in tank! Hate to use glue (would be much easier but still). Fish still a little bit blurry due low shutter speed. But when I change it picture gets dark. There are 13 green neon tetra in tank now. I keep 5 of them in another temporary tank to keep bacteria alive for my next scape (that is now in DSM). After that they will be added to the scape.

37401035212_5c1d62a398_k.jpg
forest scape 128l day 60 p3 by Nigel H, on Flickr

I actually like how busy it looks. I think what you might want to do instead is increase the substrate line and slope it higher from back to front (and angle some pieces of wood towards your vanishing point. Excellent start!

I actually like how busy it looks. I think what you might want to do instead is increase the substrate line and slope it higher from back to front (and angle some pieces of wood towards your vanishing point. Excellent start!

Thanks. Yeah higher substrate at the back would be great but this will make a big mess if I try to do this.

You want to add as much detail and dynamics as possible as long as it looks natural. Those thin roots need to be wrapped in line with the larger wood they are attached to just like in nature.
This takes a lot of work and trial and error.
You know how much time was spend on this hardscape? Practise makes perfect.

You can never have too much detail...Unless you make it look man made.
I agree with a steeper slope and a steeper canyon.

You want to add as much detail and dynamics as possible as long as it looks natural. Those thin roots need to be wrapped in line with the larger wood they are attached to just like in nature.
This takes a lot of work and trial and error.
You know how much time was spend on this hardscape? Practise makes perfect.

You can never have too much detail...Unless you make it look man made.
I agree with a steeper slope and a steeper canyon.

True True.

But how can I make a steeper slope w/o a mess.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

It's easier to build a steeper slope with a heavier and uneven substrate.
A trick from keeping avalanches at bay is to stuff things in the substrate at the slope. The green machine sell something they call TGM Substrate Supports which is basically corrugated plastic you can find on amazon and ebay for cheaper called Correx. Plants and rocks tend to keep the slope at bay as well. Still you will probably need to scoop up some substrate from the front till you reach stability.

Substrate Supports

Do you know these very cheap black plastic plant pots? They come in square and round perforated as pond plant pot non perforated as garden plant pot and in all kinds of sizes. These you can cut with scissors or box cutter very easily and the pieces can perfectly be used as substrate support. Non perforated to also retain plants, perforated to let roots grow through easily making it even stronger. Only with using the perforated versions you need to look how they are perforated and or cut in the correct direction to prevent bending. :thumbup:

Moss on the lava rocks has grown a lot. Also added some moss on the trees with glue. Not really happy with the result. Wish I used fishing line while setting up the tank. Now very hard / impossible to do with trees standing up. But still I think the glued moss is better than no moss. Enjoy the video!

Day 75

Very nice! I like the mix of plants around the tree bases, very natural.

A slightly odd idea, but have you thought about adding some trunk shadows to the backdrop - really, really subtle ones but it will give it instant depth and make it look like they disappear into the mist rather than the forest ends abruptly. Can show you a 'shop of what I mean if you like.

Looking fantastic!

Thanks foxfish :)

Very nice! I like the mix of plants around the tree bases, very natural.

A slightly odd idea, but have you thought about adding some trunk shadows to the backdrop - really, really subtle ones but it will give it instant depth and make it look like they disappear into the mist rather than the forest ends abruptly. Can show you a 'shop of what I mean if you like.

Thanks and sure show me!

Looking very nice, it will look fantastic once it matures.

Thank you steveno!

Like this. You'd have to experiment but I would guess with the frosted background if you added some irregular strips of thick card or maybe even some actual twigs behind the tank you'd get a less even light through to give you the sort of shadowy trees disappearing into the mist look you get if you walk through thick fog. The whites just a bit to even and perfect compared to the gnarly trees.

Attachments

• aqua1.jpg
    aqua1.jpg
    697.9 KB · Views: 252
I only spot one thing I might alter... the fourth from the left looks a little odd, the trees tapper looks wrong as it is a little bulbous in the middle & not quite natural.
That might be a little too critical though as honestly it still looks fab.

I agree. At that time it was the only tree I had left with a suitable size. I will put some moss on it

Thanks for the heads up!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Back