• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Return of the Shallow

I picked up 4 of those eucalyptus root pieces a few months ago. First time I saw them. Good price, interesting shape and texture (mine are hollow in the stem portion) and interesting Malaysian drift wood had been hard to find in Edmonton (Canada). Two of them ended up in 53x60x25cm tanks so a quite similar format but my tanks are zero-scaping jungle tanks to breed Apistogramma. I'm really impressed by Tim's creation though.

@Ryan Thang To, thanks Ryan, I'm building up to it :confused:
@Edvet, it's tempting Ed...a lot less effort and no algae :)
@Bart Hazes, thanks Bart, first time I laid eyes on the root it was love at first sight. It'd be great to see some pics of your tank perhaps you could start a new thread and post some pics if you haven't already.

With a nice wet growing bromeliad (Cryptanthus zonatus?), some ferns (Asplenium dimorphum?) a gesnerid (Chirita tamiana?) and an orchid (Ludisia discolor)?
Agreed, who needs water when he can have CO2:joyful:

Well yes, foxfish is right...unfortunately the scape is shrouded in condensation most of the time. I usually wipe the glass after its daily spray, and just before resealing, but within an hour or so it is only visible as a green haze.

The good thing about keeping it dry is that plant growth won't be that fast, especially for moss. And as we all know trimming mosses underwater is a pain. You will also have the chance to add another wonderful range of plants such as bromeliads, gesneriads, orchids, ferns...
If condensation is the problem, just mount two 40 mm fans in the back corners pointing to the front. Attach them to old cell phone chargers and keep them running on a timer 15 minutes every hour. You will get condensation but only a few hours per day and your plants will appreciate air movement, a must if you introduce 'real' terrestrial plants.
Congrats, it's a very inspiring layout!

Jordi

So...the plants arrived and now it's time to bite the bullet and flood....
I've chosen 3 Rotalas - Rotala sp. Vietnam, Rotala colorata, and Rotala walichii for the background.
I've also lodged a selection of Buces in between the branches of the stump, not to sure what they are, but some are Brownies.
Once flooded I gave the scape a massive trim and gave it its first water change.

38013351796_a0545a6a99_b.jpg

26290438769_9425fabf65_b.jpg

24214132868_37fba8e7b2_b.jpg

26290439849_fd6839e419_b.jpg

Yeah me too...well kinda', but I couldn't see anything through the condensation and for me fish are an integral part of the hobby. Although, if I could find some of those flying fish that feature so prominently in IAPLC entries, I'd have no need to flood it...:D

@zozo and @kadoxu thanks Marcel and kadoxu :)

Back