• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andys HC propagator step by step

Mine are still going Andy!
On the window sill in 20cm glass Do Aqua! cube....which has a perspex lid!
No artificial light! The Monte Carlo looks a tad ropey shall remove that next week or cut it right back!
Cheers
hoggie
Mine bounced back I thought that it had died but I topped the water up and it grew back. I've moved 180 miles south and only see it at the weekend when I go back up north to see the kids. I'm waiting for the spring and I'm going to resurrect it with plants that we cant sell at work:)

Rotala sp bonzai!
Produced flowers a few weeks ago!
Cuttings came from Andy
Mine are still going Andy!
On the window sill in 20cm glass Do Aqua! cube....which has a perspex lid!

I found the guide very useful thanks a lot Andy. I'm completely new to emmersed growing.

2 questions:

1- How often do you change the water? Or do you just top off when needed?
2- How do your plants behave when immersed into the aquarium? How do you counter for the shock?

I found the guide very useful thanks a lot Andy. I'm completely new to emmersed growing.

2 questions:

1- How often do you change the water? Or do you just top off when needed?
2- How do your plants behave when immersed into the aquarium? How do you counter for the shock?

Hi
I just topped up the water as and when i needed to.
the plants were fine when they were put in the tank because they had plenty flow, co2 and nutrients. This is the hard bit, I guess we were lucky we got it right first go.

Its you fault Andy, I wondered what to do with left over / excess plants and you gave me this. I have now purchsed a sankey 300 proagator (nearly same price as yours) and a Chihiros 60cm light as its now winter.

Its you fault Andy, I wondered what to do with left over / excess plants and you gave me this. I have now purchsed a sankey 300 proagator (nearly same price as yours) and a Chihiros 60cm light as its now winter on so.

Well, how do plants grown emersed behave when immersed? What is the survival rate I'm CO2 vs no CO2 tanks?
Thank you

Most of them will melt and then come back. Just like when you buy most plants, as most of them are farmed emersed.

If you boost CO2 in the tank though, they may not melt or adapt without melting too much.

Depends on the plant too, health etc. I think that plants removed from the propagator can have a better chance of survival because they haven't had the trauma of transit. I also agree with kadoxu boost the co2 for best results. If you have no livestock you can add as much co2 as you like to aid the transition from emersed but remember to wean the plants to lower co2 levels before you add critters.

I wouldn't bother adding extra fertz, the hc was in there for 12 weeks without problems

Thank you guys. Are you suggesting that Tropica etc grow their plants emersed? In all the LFSs I've been I see the plants inside display tanks w/o signs of melting.

Hi
The plants in lfs are in tanks because most lfs dont have any other way to keep them.They show no sign of melting because they have been there short term and the plant reserves are compensating.The melt is not an instant process .There is possibility that yor lfs has decent plant keeping tank but unfortunately that is quite rare.
Regards Konsa

Back