• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Deansie's Ada 45-P Iwagumi

Day 14

IMAG1608_zpsyyxfjcf4.jpg

Growing in well, have been doing minimum 50% water change every second day. Light level is on 5 of 7 for the last week so was talking rubbish when I said I wouldn't raise it
Had some dust/diatoms, also seen some green hair or beard algae, have tried removing when I see it. I don't have a test kit so was wondering what's a typical length of time for a Ada soil aquarium to cycle?

Day 14

IMAG1608_zpsyyxfjcf4.jpg

Growing in well, have been doing minimum 50% water change every second day. Light level is on 5 of 7 for the last week so was talking rubbish when I said I wouldn't raise it
Had some dust/diatoms, also seen some green hair or beard algae, have tried removing when I see it. I don't have a test kit so was wondering what's a typical length of time for a Ada soil aquarium to cycle?

Hard to say can take 2 weeks but more like 6 weeks also possible. So far my tanks were cycled after 2-3 weeks with New aquasoil.

Take some water to a LFS and let it test.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Thanks guys, Yeh I'll do that Nigel, not forking out cash for a kit I never use. My big tank hasn't been tested in a long time.

Last edited:
How's the filter/heater going looking at investing in one but just wanted to see what u think about it and if u would recommend it

Hi Deansie,

I'm using the exact same filter; some questions:

Does yours make a "sucking" noise every 15 mins or so? I'm trying to ascertain if it's the filter or the c02 kit I have....

Also, does your heater have trouble getting to temp? I can hear mine clicking on / off but the tank always seems to be a few degrees below what I set it to. I think I need to adjust mine...

Thanks.

How's the filter/heater going looking at investing in one but just wanted to see what u think about it and if u would recommend it
Hi Jay, I'm really happy with the filter. Great having the heater out out of the way but not having the faff of a hydor or expensive eheim etc. I've been in the game long enough now not to get caught. up with the brand thing all the time. Says me with an Ada tank lol, but I have cheap all pond solution filter on my trigon 190 and it's magic.
The size of Eden I have gives a nice amount of flow for this tank, might help gauge what you need, sure flow is adjustable, I'll check tomorrow for you.

Last edited:
Hi Deansie,

I'm using the exact same filter; some questions:

Does yours make a "sucking" noise every 15 mins or so? I'm trying to ascertain if it's the filter or the c02 kit I have....

Also, does your heater have trouble getting to temp? I can hear mine clicking on / off but the tank always seems to be a few degrees below what I set it to. I think I need to adjust mine...

Thanks.

Hi Elliot, I can't say I've noticed a sucking noise but assume I would have by now, sounds like air is getting into your system somewhere. I've not heard the heater ever click on or off although I have my filter out of the way in a table. To be honest I've not got a thermometer yet (or test kit), I set the heater to 24 and finger tested it ha ha, seemed similar to my trigon so I was happy enough, but I couldnt tell you if there was a noticeable temperature gradient to be honest. Sorry

Last edited:
Hi Elliot, I can't say I've noticed a sucking noise but assume I would have by now, sounds like air is getting into your system somewhere. I've not heard the heater ever click on or off although I have my filter out of the way in a table. To be honest I've not got a thermometer yet (or test kit), I set the heater to 24 and finger tested it ha ha, seemed similar to my trigon so I was happy enough, but I couldnt tell you if there was a noticeable temperature gradient to be honest. Sorry

Hi Deansie,

I got through to a salesman at aquatix-2u.co.uk where I bought the original filter - one email later the guy said they're sending out a whole new unit which will be with me tomorrow! I guess mine is just faulty. At least I have no fish in there and I'm still near the beginning of my cycle.

With that I'll also use the new heater they're sending to see if mine was out, or whether or not it's just the way they are and get back to you.

Great Elliot, really can't fault customer service by the sounds of it.
I'm changing the filter floss tomorrow and n mine so be interesting to see how much a mess I make, first time is always the worst.

Unless you do tank maintenance under the influence of red wine lol, I can confirm this isn't a good idea. Though I can confirm that external filters are fine turned off for a day and don't result in die off, my discus where still happy as Larry lol.

Day 25

IMAG1694_1_zps9rpu5ydc.jpg

Tank has been going well, almost grown in now. I removed the stem plants as they just didn't look right for tank, I also trimmed the hair grass and carpet at the front.
Ivr added some cherry shrimp and 2 Otto's which all seem to have settled in nicely.

I've had to fit a small mesh filter onto the Lily uptake which I don't like to see but hey ho. Getting some hair algae etc noting major. So good so far

Day 39
http://s360.photobucket.com/user/deansie26/media/IMAG1694_1_zps9rpu5ydc.jpg.html]
IMAG1694_1_zps9rpu5ydc.jpg
[/URL]

, tank going ok, growth been good-carried out large trim of the carpets today. The shrimp have already bred and I can see tiny shrimp dotted about lol. Ottos look good to and going to add a few dittrthy fishes an some Amano shrimp.

Last edited:
Quick update.

Added 4 amano shrimp and seen one eating a big turf of soft hair algae straight away, with I bought more! Well happy as this is the only algae I'm
Having a problem with Lol.
How many do folk keep in there 45 litre tanks?
Also counted 5 baby red shrimp tonight,

Last edited:
Back