• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Return of the Shallow

@Samjpikey Thanks :)
@Nelson thanks Neil. Haha, me neither, I quite like it the way it is...especially since there's no water changes, algae etc, the ultimate low-maintenance, low-energy scape.
@Ryan Thang To Thanks Ryan
@foxfish Yes, I've got my eye on a Brownie Series Collection from the guy I usually buy my buces from on eBay, he grows them immersed so I didn't want to transition them twice.
But absolutely, they would have been fine to grow in DSM otherwise, and had they been grown emersed they'd be in there already.

Thanks Dave, I'm hoping the spiky light green moss is mini Christmas moss, I guess it's a variety of Vesicularia dubyana, but it's difficult to tell since it's in the emersed form.
The other is Pelia, Monosolenium tenerum...I also hope :confused:

Absolutely stunning, the scape is incredibly detailed and replicates a tiny chunk of nature perfectly. Incredible.

Great planting too, love the selection.

Oh and great pictures, can't wait for the next update!

Chris

Looking great, such fast growth! Any tricks here? How long are you running your lights?

Thanks very much guys, it means a lot coming from such accomplished hobbyists as yourselves.

@doylecolmdoyle no tricks really, light is on 100% intensity for 12 hours a day, suspended about 20cm from the top of the tank. the plants get sprayed once a day with a weak solution of TNC Complete about 3ml per litre.
I've changed the cling film about 3 times, it can get a bit scuddy and start to block out the light.

@Keith GH Praise indeed, thanks Keith.

@zozo thanks Marcel, I do have the radio on all day and sometimes Classic FM, so who knows you maybe right :cool:

Till now nobody realy knows, but there is one plant completely throwing all upside down. The Codariocalyx motorius or Desmodium gyrans aka Telegraph plant and Dancing plant. Scientists don't know what to make of it and still a complete mystery.. But this plant very obviously reacts and moves to sounds. So indeed, who knows? If one does, maybe all do, maybe less obvious but still.

@zozo, I have a theory about that Marcel...I think it's probably something to do with certain frequencies stimulating growth.
Outdoors those frequencies are perhaps provided by natural environmental factors. Indoors those factors are largely absent and music might provide a substitute...perhaps o_O

For instance, I read somewhere that Marram grass growth is stimulated by shifting sands and in particular in to developing a deep root system.
Another analogy would be turf growth in stadiums. In totally enclosed stadiums it doesn't grow as well as it does in stadiums without a roof despite climate control, fertz and all the rest.

@Daveslaney it must work; doesn't Prince Charles play classical music to encourage his prise blooms or something? ;)

@dw1305 Thanks Darrel :)

@zozo, I have a theory about that Marcel...I think it's probably something to do with certain frequencies stimulating growth.
Outdoors those frequencies are perhaps provided by natural environmental factors. Indoors those factors are largely absent and music might provide a substitute...perhaps o_O

For instance, I read somewhere that Marram grass growth is stimulated by shifting sands and in particular in to developing a deep root system.
Another analogy would be turf growth in stadiums. In totally enclosed stadiums it doesn't grow as well as it does in stadiums without a roof despite climate control, fertz and all the rest.

You could very well be on the right track.. After all every molecule is an electric charged freqeuncy to be able to excist.. So the idea that other external good vibrations could be received as positive stimulus is not far fetched at all. It also reminds me of David Talbott theories and his Thunderbolts project, al tho discarted to the realm of pseudosience he and his team still had some interesting theories, that not gravity but electricity is the predominant universal force .

Back