• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Using Untreated Teak Wood

Stickleback

Hi Everyone. I'm back again after being away for a few years. Setting a tank up in Jakarta this time.

I found this amazing teak wood in the Indonesian countryside. Pretty big, the large one is about 130cm wide. Only cost £20 for both so pretty chuffed on that.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with using untreated teak as a hardscape? Am I likely to run in to any problems?

Many Thanks

S

WhatsApp Image 2017-09-07.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2017-09-07 .jpg

I remember a book which adviced Teak as ideal wood for reducing Ph and also pointed out it leaches a lot of tanins. Same is said from driftwood from the peat bogs but personaly never realy noticed any long term pH reduction. So i guess also with Teak this likely is a simular far fetched fairytale.. But i have no personal experience with teak in the tank.

Tho what is often sold as Bowls and Dishes, kitchen cutting boards etc. also is untreated Teak. Also because it is a very greasy wood type repeling dirt and water and as Darrel says it has anti microblia propperties makes it also ideal for Dish. I had a few of those bowls planted as wabi kusa, never noticed any issues.. And surprised how clean it still was after taking the plants and soil out. It even didn't leave any staining. :)

Have seen some nice Willow branches offered for sale on websites,I have not seen any teak wood that was not in plank form .
I bought some spider wood a while back and it was quite pricey.

Willow if memory serves me well is a big No No! It might only be the leaves, not sure but deep in the depths of memory there is something niggling away.

Willow if memory serves me well is a big No No! It might only be the leaves, not sure but deep in the depths of memory there is something niggling away.

I know you can make aspirin from willow bark as we had to at uni but think it is antibacterial (I've mushed it up to extract rooting hormone for other things and never had bacterial issues) as well. That might only be the bark and I'd guess after lots of soaking it wouldn't probably cause an issue.

Hi Stickleback, good to see you posting again ;)
Nice wood, you got another low-energy planned?

Yeah great to be back ;)

Yup it's another low tech and hopefully natural light. However it might need some supplementary light.

Heres the latest build, it's going to have quit a few emergent plants growing on top of the wood.
IMG_2267.jpg
IMG_2266.jpg
IMG_2262.jpg

Back