• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss has been engulfed help!!!

Lgtuk

I have just been away for a long week's holiday and come back to what I can only describe as moss anilalation.

As you can see from the picture all of my moss has been engulfed in green hair algae. The rest of the tank is spotless.

Anyone know why my moss has been taken over and nothing else has been touched?

And is their anything apart from throwing the moss away I can do about it to save my lovely mosses?

Attachments

• 1503249887800942548897.jpg
    1503249887800942548897.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 230
I have just been away for a long week's holiday and come back to what I can only describe as moss anilalation.

As you can see from the picture all of my moss has been engulfed in green hair algae. The rest of the tank is spotless.

Anyone know why my moss has been taken over and nothing else has been touched?

And is their anything apart from throwing the moss away I can do about it to save my lovely mosses?

Did anybody dose your ferts whilst you were away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you done a head count of livestock? Do you inject co2? All ok with the filter? I experienced this with just my moss a few months back.

Have you done a head count of livestock? Do you inject co2? All ok with the filter? I experienced this with just my moss a few months back.

Headcount looks ok, diy co2 was running about half normal strength but running, filter was due it's normal clean when I got back.

Luckily my moss was very thick and I have just removed a big clump from the top and looks a lot better now.

Quite possibly due to the drop in co2 and flow. It's a stubborn bugger to get rid of but it'll eventually go. Keep twirling it off with a toothbrush and pick at it. Shot blast it with H202 worked for me. Shot blasting it with Easy carbo never did much for me.

Kind regards
Matt

I haven't been brave enough to use h2o2 yet sounds just wrong lol

Yeah so did I. But I took the plunge (pun intended) and it amazed me to how fab it works. I think it's the peroxide bit that puts us off. Just think of it as oxygen as that's all it really is. I use it regularly now and it's really cheap on EBay, just make sure you get the good grade 3% solution. I've just ordered another litre of the stuff and cost less than 9 quid including delivery. Applied properly you won't have any issues

no need buy it from ebay, you can get 200ml of 6% from any high street chemist for about £1.75. dilute this down to 3% and it works fine. so you get a litre of 3% for under a fiver!

Any tips on how to use it just let me know

Kind regards
Matt

sorry to steal the thread. Was wondering whether we just spray 3% h2o2 on moss within water or do we take out the moss and then spray? If sprayed inside water r there any other precautions to take apart from switching off filters and powerheads? I too have green string algae on my flame moss which just wudnt go after 2 months of manual removal. Entire tank s free of algae otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

sorry to steal the thread. Was wondering whether we just spray 3% h2o2 on moss within water or do we take out the moss and then spray? If sprayed inside water r there any other precautions to take apart from switching off filters and powerheads? I too have green string algae on my flame moss which just wudnt go after 2 months of manual removal. Entire tank s free of algae otherwise.

Morning

Not really part from keeping it to a maximum of 2mg per US gallon. I do tend to do a water change after using it, it's probably not necessary but I've seen some do it and some don't but I prefer to. Yeah keep your filters, pumps and any other circulation devices switched off for 15-20 minutes. Obviously it's better to administer the H202 whilst the plants/moss are still submerged but draining your tank to expose your plants/moss for 15-20 minutes whilst the H202 does its magic won't hurt. As long as you get a reliable pump spray bottle you'll be good to go. I need to get a more reliable one! I'm currently spot dosing with a flooring syringe which aint all that bad to the the mega size of it but have used those 5ml ones in the past which took yonks to administer it! It's probably wise not to directly shot blast it at any inverts you might have and I don't think your fish would appreciate it either but it's that fast acting it quickly turns into o2 so it's safer than what you'll initially think it is. Took me a bit of courage to initially use it but after a bit of research on forums and YouTube it's well worth it. You'll see as lot of bubbling depending on the amount of algae you have but within a couple of days it'll turn red/white where it'll be easy fodder to waft away when it's dead in the water (literally)!

Morning

Not really part from keeping it to a maximum of 2mg per US gallon. I do tend to do a water change after using it, it's probably not necessary but I've seen some do it and some don't but I prefer to. Yeah keep your filters, pumps and any other circulation devices switched off for 15-20 minutes. Obviously it's better to administer the H202 whilst the plants/moss are still submerged but draining your tank to expose your plants/moss for 15-20 minutes whilst the H202 does its magic won't hurt. As long as you get a reliable pump spray bottle you'll be good to go. I need to get a more reliable one! I'm currently spot dosing with a flooring syringe which aint all that bad to the the mega size of it but have used those 5ml ones in the past which took yonks to administer it! It's probably wise not to directly shot blast it at any inverts you might have and I don't think your fish would appreciate it either but it's that fast acting it quickly turns into o2 so it's safer than what you'll initially think it is. Took me a bit of courage to initially use it but after a bit of research on forums and YouTube it's well worth it. You'll see as lot of bubbling depending on the amount of algae you have but within a couple of days it'll turn red/white where it'll be easy fodder to waft away when it's dead in the water (literally)!

Thanks a ton. Got 6% h2o2 today. Will wait till the end of the week though as I did my water change only last night. Will have to do with a 10ml syringe as it's only a small area. Will post pre and post treatment pics. It may be useful for the OP too. Tc.

Thanks a ton. Got 6% h2o2 today. Will wait till the end of the week though as I did my water change only last night. Will have to do with a 10ml syringe as it's only a small area. Will post pre and post treatment pics. It may be useful for the OP too. Tc.

No problem. I use 3 % solution so I can only comment on that strength.

Back