• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Myriophyllum mattogrossense

Andrew Butler

Does anyone have experience of Myriophyllum mattogrossense?
I could do with a complete tutorial with it please!
I have read to both prune it but also remove it and replant the tops - can anyone advise?
Cheers
Andy

The Tropica plant page is a good place to start - there are several layouts with this plant so you can see how it looks in different conditions/tanks
You can replant the tops as well as wait for new growth from the plant base - though the latter can be slow depending on conditions & plant health/vigor

If bought in an lfs take a close look, very often M. tuberculatum is sold as M. mattogrossense. Especialy if the lable says "M. mattogrossense red. M. tuberculatum can grow red in sufficient light but can also be offered green. The biggest differnce is, tuberculatum is very a difficult plant to grow and is from asian origine.
https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants/myriophyllum-tuberculatum

Hi this is one of my favourite fast growing plant. It creates beautiful groups. The only downside for me is that it needs to be trimmed and the tops to be planted every week . It will completely block the surface otherwise.

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

P
Hi this is one of my favourite fast growing plant. It creates beautiful groups. The only downside for me is that it needs to be trimmed and the tops to be planted every week . It will completely block the surface otherwise.

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk
Fast isn't the word that's one of the reasons I don't like it, 40cms growth in 3 days. The other reason is when you trim it bits get trapped everywhere and you spend more time picking bits out than trimming it. I much prefer rotala wallichi.

I generally plant as individual stems - this is especially important if there is "melt" as distance between stems will help confine/slow the spread

If stems are damaged, use a sharp scissor or razor blade to cut away any damaged areas, remove damaged leafs underwater - you can still plant the base & trimmed tops

(sometimes I do all the plant handling in a water filled bin if plant is "melting" after transport - M. m. can arrive in poor condition sometimes, retailer should replace or refund)

Just place the low cut base so that it's not shaded

you mean the whole stem is dislodged? I just pushed it a couple cm's into the substrate (Tropica powder) & didn't notice any floating up

Like Andy, no pix - I decided it wasn't what I wanted & removed it

I decided it wasn't what I wanted & removed it
I think that's where I will be heading! The stems looked a lot thicker in the pics and there's nowhere local with this or another plant I like.
I've had a few floaters from ada powder

I think I just need to find that plant that's tall enough and gives the fish somewhere to hide or do I just let the monte carlo fill in the middle?
I never set out for an aquascape just a tank with some plants in the bottom (same thing I know) instead of gravel and a novelty diver.
Any pointers are welcome as I'm just making things more complicated and I don't really want that.

https://goo.gl/photos/j27oAzRq7NVNzxLh8

Have you tried waiting for changes to take affect ?, a week is a good amount of time to wait... Also nozzles? Spraybar would be better. Also changing 1 thing at a time also helps then you can see what makes a difference to your setup. If you change more than one thing at once then you will not know which change made the difference.

hey there here is mine with pictures. This plant grows very fast its like weed, and if your asking how to propagate its simple the plant grow tall ones its tall enough it creates shoots and once its tall enough cut the plant in half replant it. one plant can create 5 or more shoots on the plant nodes . Let it grow tall u will see shoots forming the cut the top plant it. the shoots will grow tall and create more shoots aswell.
IMG_5249.JPG
IMG_5250.JPG
IMG_5251.JPG

And also once you buy this plant from tropica let it grow dont move it because i think its emersed when you buy it. So leave it for a week or two you will see shoots and once tall enough cut it remove the old emersed stems replant the new growth and in no time you will have a bush

Back