• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

20kg fire extinguisher

agol77

Hi all

I've just spoken to a local fire extinguisher service place, to find out about refilling my 5kg FE, and they said they have a 20kg one available that's just come in, and for £30, which is less than the cost of refilling my 5kg. I've got a 6' tank, with sump, so pumping in a lot of CO2, and a larger tank sounds like a good plan.

Does anyone know if there will be any issues with this size FE? Will my CO2 Art regulator still work with it?

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Confirm with the seller, it has DIN 477 thread.. :) This is standard for any Co2 bottle and regulators..

That indeed is a big boy, you must have a rather large cabinet to fit that.. A 5 kg bottle did 18 months co2 for a 50 litre aquarium. :)

Wow that is a bigun, it must be one of the ones that are situated in a wheeled trolley?

Yes, he said it's on a trolley. I should have just enough space beside the aquarium, where it'll be out of sight, but I have to admit to being a bit nervous about having a massive high pressure cylinder sitting in my living room! I guess it shouldn't really be any less safe than a 5kg FE, but still....

Confirm with the seller, it has DIN 477 thread.. :) This is standard for any Co2 bottle and regulators..

That indeed is a big boy, you must have a rather large cabinet to fit that.. A 5 kg bottle did 18 months co2 for a 50 litre aquarium. :)

The end of the aquarium is about 20" from the wall, so I'm hoping it'll sit in there, mostly out of sight. My 5kg fe has been running for about two months, and is about half full now, so hopefully I'll get a good year out of a 20kg. The chap did say it's a DIN 477 thread, so it should be fine. I'm just a bit worried that my regulator may not like it, do you know if that size tank will affect it?

I know a 2KG is fairly heavy so can't imagine what that one is like .Just remember to secure it to a wall . This fear that folk regularly express about having FEs in the house is unnecessary .. FE's are in every workplace and should be in every home..They're not bombs

I'm just a bit worried that my regulator may not like it, do you know if that size tank will affect it?

Presurized co2 FE or regular bottle is 50 bar / 725 PSI, bottle volume doesn't change that.. :)

It's a Fire Extinguisher... so "not being safe" wouldn't probably make it fit for purpose. :lol:

I remeber an article from the USA, about an spontanious exploding co2 bottle, leveling a complete pub.. But it was a faulty old bottle no longer fit to be in regulation. So the distributor got suet big time.. That's why it has a certificate date stamp and expire date. As long as this is in order, they should be safe

Presurized co2 FE or regular bottle is 50 bar / 725 PSI, bottle volume doesn't change that.. :)

Ideal, that's what I was hoping to hear, thanks!!

Well, it's just arrived and it's a big old lump! Weighs about 50kg, so will definitely need fixing to the wall.

I've had to set it up earlier than I was expecting. The 5kg FE I had set up before ran out after only six weeks, and I hadn't noticed. A few days without CO2, and BBA set it, but it's slowly starting to recede now the new FE is set up.

Back