• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planted tank issues

Katie656

Hi all,

I am new to this forum but have had my planted tank for around a year. I would really appreciate it if someone could offer some insight as to what is happening to my plant leaves. In the last few days several of my sword leaves have patches like the ones in the attached photo. Previously (around a month or two ago) my Java Fern and Frogbit leaves had similar clear brownish patches. I removed the affected leaves, which was most of them. Around the same time my Staurogyne rubescens dropped most of their leaves. Finally the majority of my Cryptocoryne Wendtii leaves have melted within the last week. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Any ideas?

Tank: Fluval Roma 125
Lights: 2x Aquasky 16 watt LEDs (combined output 17.5 lumens per litre) for 8 hours a day
Filtration: Fluval 206 canister filter and Fluval U3 internal filter
Temperature: 27C
Substrate: Fine black gravel

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm (before water change)
PH: 7.4
KH: 3 (German degrees)
GH: 5
Water change schedule: 25% 2x weekly

Fertilisers: Seachem's flourish root tabs - last added a week ago for the swords and Wendtii, TNC lite (Full tank dosed following weekly PWC and replacement water dosed following midweek PWC), TNC Carbon - daily
Other chemicals: Fluval AquaPlus water conditioner, Seachems Alkaline buffer and Acid buffer (KH is 1 out of the tap)

Fish:
1x Bristlenose Pleco
2x Electric Blue Rams
8x Head and Tail light tetra
12x Cardinal tetra
(Tank 83% stocked)

Plants
Amazon Frogbit
Amazon Sword
Java Fern
Staurogyne Rubescens
Cryptocoryne Wendtii
Littorella Uniflora
Bacopa Compact

Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Hi,

There is not only one problem. I had this kind of defficiency and I solved it by adding Ferropol + Khalium-Potasium.
My basic fertilizer is Tropica Universal. You also have a Microsorum Pterosum, on the stone, in the back?

Please see bellow list of basic defficiency. But, in most of the cases, they are combined.

4EeKf2z.png

Here are a couple more photos

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 96
Thank you for the replies!

It is Java Fern on the stone at the back, or what is left of it.

I also have TNC complete, do you think this will help. I was using the TNC lite because I thought the fish supplied enough Nitrates and Phosphate in a low tech tanks?

Oh and PWC is partial water change

I don't think phosphate is your problem there. Basic fertilizers ensure basic nutrients for most of the plants. Some of plants need a supplement according with grow speed, mass of the leaves, ... all in combination with light and CO2. There is no unique receipt, you just have to try and see what is working best.

Is it okay to dose Ferropol and Khalium-Potasium along with upgrading the TNC lite for complete? Or is that too many changes in one go?

Hi Katie
JBL Ferropol is a Iron based fertilizer!
TNC Complete will have Iron included as well as Potassium!
TNC Complete is a All in One Fertilizer...for Co2 or Non Co2 aquariums......use this fertilizer for a few months and observe the changes be it good or bad.
You may have too tweak the dose to suit your plant needs ;)

TNC complete is an upgrade of lite, for dense planted aqvarium. TNC also have TNC Potassium! Why? Because TNC complete is a basic fertilizer that should be completed with supplements according with the plants from the tank. This because why there is no real "universal" fertilizer. The combinations of plants and specs of each tank are so variuous and different. So, there are basic needs of the plants and special needs in same time. My opinion is to upgrade TNC and see what is happen. Then, act accordingly. For sure, a supplement of potassium will help.

Edit : Sorry Hogan, I was writing in same time with you.

Back