• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fern identification please.

Sarpijk

Hi, the other day I bought a little fern. There is a label on the pot reading just "FERN". I wish to know the name of it.
c39a4401f46a4b5206d6f67eb808592e.jpg
738d60a439b529c0ea4edf644d7bde18.jpg

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

Hi Darrel I looked it up on Google and it doesn't look exactly like mine but I guess I might have some type of cultivar. Is this a good candidate to be placed with it's roots in a fish tank the same way maiden hair fern is used?

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

Hi all,
it doesn't look exactly like mine
Better monitor, and you are right, it isn't Pellaea.
Cyrtomium
I thought of Cyrtomium, because both C. fortunei and C. falconeri have pointy ends to the leaves, and Pellaea doesn't.

Having said that I don't think it is a Cyrtomium. If it was, C. fortunei has hairy stipes, so that makes it a more likely ID.
Is this a good candidate to be placed with it's roots in a fish tank the same way maiden hair fern is used?
I'd give it a go and see what happens.

The evergreen leaves and hairy stems make me think that it is a fern that survives dry conditions.

cheers Darrel

I thought of Cyrtomium, because both C. fortunei and C. falconeri have pointy ends to the leaves
I've had a Cyrtonium maybe 15 years ago, forgot which one it was i think the falcatum, because this is the most common one around in the garden centres, but that's just a guess.And it was a quite big and robust plant already when i bought it. It stood in a 20 litre pot.. The first picture kinda reminded me of that Cyrtomium, the thick glossy pointed leaf. Mine indeed didn't have those hairy stipes, but i think to remember this from young growth from it's rhizome.. And the one in the picture if it is a Cyrtomium it seems a pretty small and still very young plant.

I know Microgramma and Pyrrosia both small creeping/climbing tree fern sp. can have hairy stypes and glossy pointed leaves. But these are very uncommon in the trade, once in a while you find on of them in Terrarium shops. :) I only know them theoreticaly and are on still on my whish list.

There are not so many ferns able to survive with a constant submersed rhizome.. I've lost the bookmark, but there is a list t find with plants (ferns) able to grow on Hydroculture. And than the plant has only partialy submersed root tips.. I do not remember Cyrtomium among it, most are Microsorum sp. or Asplenium sp. And most ferns even do not like repotting, i've killed quite a few with only changing substrate. They don't seem to like it get a shock and if you are lucky slowly come back. Above an aquarium i guess your best chances are with a little HOB filter and put the fern with it's rhizome emersed on top of the moist sponge if it doesn't mind wet roots it eventualy will grow into it. :)

Back