• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish jumping out of the tank

Djoko Sauza

Hi guys, I see many of you don't have lids in your tanks. How do you stop your fish from jumping out of the tank?

I had same problem in my planted tank ... Most of the planted tanks i have seen specially the ada , rimless one doesn't have any cover ....

Normally fish will not jump until n unless they r spooked ...but yes in my tank i had casualty which i can deny..... Thats the reason i dont keep costly fish in my show planted tanks .....

If i plan to keep costly fish then definitely my tank will have leads

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Wanted to add....once ur tank is filled with plants n lush green......fish normally wont jump...

Please find below my tank...after ut matures none of my fishes jumped out of it...they prefer to hide if spooked .

It's not so much about the cost of replacing them (which would also be a bugger) but just killing fish for no reason would really put me off.
Beautiful tank by the way!

Yep its fustrating ...i feel exactly what u r saying....

But covering a tank with pressurized co2 posses greater threat....if covered there will b less air exchange which can b fatal for ur fishes.... I tried adding a sleak acralyc cover on my planted tank....fish came gasping in 2 hours... luckily i was at home to check ....

It doesn't mean U can't have cover in planted tank ... U can have if u r using sump

Should work if you go low tech (as I plan to) but then kind of ruins the look of the rimless tank.

If only I could find a nice looking tank with a lid, none compares to the clear silicone!

I think with sufficient plant coverage the fish fee safe enough when spooked to take cover in the plants, also good water quality can help stop fish from jumping, one theory is that fish / shrimp jump in search for better water.

Look closely at their over all behaivor and shape, maybe they have parasites.. Which is a common cause for a fish to flash, scratch and or jump..

Hi,

in my opinion, jumping fish may have severall reasons:

1. (and most common) you have a type of fish that tends to jump, such as guppies (are they called like that in english?). Just use a cover if you want to keept them :D
2. your water chemistry is terribly wrong (should almost never happen in a well maintained planted tank).
3. you give them a scary situation by any kind and no chance to hide in safety. That's a problem for a lot of people.

The third point should be considered from a lot of different angles. While humans obviously seem like a threat for a fish as small as a few cm, there might be other reasons.

In germany, the minimum tank size for different fish is a pretty controversial topic. Some of us (and I tend to be one of them) think for example, that neons (p.a.) feel uncomfortable within small tanks (60 cm or less in length) and tend show strange behaviour, i.e. jumping. Don't know if that ever happend, it's just an example that even the pure size of the tank might cause your fish to act weird.

Another point is overstocking. This is one I really have experience with. Fish in an overstocked tank seem to feel pressed and therefore leaving the tank. This happend to me and after reducing the amount of fish, it never happend again. But the leven of overstocking has to be crazy, at least in my experience.

There could be a lot more, but just to give you some things to think about. Since the time I keep my livestock in mostly oversized tanks without overstocking to hard (I still tend to overstock every tank by a few percent without major problems), I never had any problems with jumping fish. Not even my amano shrimp are evading and they are well known for doing so.

@Pinaki Pal : Whats the problem with a covered tank and CO2? :D I covered my 60 cm Tank during could seasons to stop water evaporation and have never seen any issues even with about 30 ppm CO2. The only thing is, that there need to be any holes for air exchange and at least some room above the water for air to be in. And you need to adjust the CO2 a bit, because there is less of a need. I would be really interessted in the kind of problems you expierienced, because I don't see any. But it's never a mistake to learn, most likely there is something i missed :D

I use the stainless steel clips from ADA, cheaper versions are available. I put a glass lid on the tank but leave about a 20mm either side gap which helps with gas exchange and access for feeding, pipes and cables. This massively reduces chances of a fish jumping out of the tank but not totally. Up to press I have lost two fish an Otto and an Ember Tetra through leaping just through the gap left. I think the problem comes when they are sleeping, some fish tend to rest in corners so they know they are covered from two sides, back to the wall sort of strategy so they can't be crept up on from behind. Problem is if they get disturbed and panic they tend to shoot upwards especially if say the lights are off in the dark and someone comes in the room and puts a light on.

The likes of corys will jump out of water to get a gulp of air and tend to try and do it as fast as possible from substrate to surface probably a defence mechanism from aerial predators (the longer they are at the surface the more chance they have of being seen) Covers are essential for corys, many times I've seen them dart to the surface and bang their heads on the lids, I've no doubt that they would have ended up on the floor if there was no lid on.

Hi

@Pinaki Pal : Whats the problem with a covered tank and CO2? :D I covered my 60 cm Tank during could seasons to stop water evaporation and have never seen any issues even with about 30 ppm CO2. The only thing is, that there need to be any holes for air exchange and at least some room above the water for air to be in. And you need to adjust the CO2 a bit, because there is less of a need. I would be really interessted in the kind of problems you expierienced, because I don't see any. But it's never a mistake to learn, most likely there is something i missed :D

It Depends on what type of cover u r using...

If u use nets there will never b any problem ...but it may b an eye sore...

Perhaps u may take a look at this video by Dennis .. i defuse high co2 in tank n rely on maximum air exchange to gas out excess...( 2nd option in video ) ..u always can ctrl co2 n minimize it but it may cause fluctuations in co2 level resulting BBA n other algae

I used an acrylic sheet ...it looked kool but stopped air circulation almost completely...hence fish will come to surface showing signs of stress....

I stopped trying for cover as after few instances fish never tried to jump.... Now a days once spooked they take plants cover ...

only times I had fish jump was high nitrite and hatchet fish did kamikaze every time I did water changes :)

Back