• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Microsorum Trident dying quicker than it is growing? (Other tank is fine)

Ryan Young

Hi all,

I set up a 130L planted aquarium a few months ago if not longer and overall and growing to dislike it very much. I am battling algae most likely due to not running CO2 (the plants and lighting should have meant CO2 was not required and do not dose any nutrients) but as this was meant to be an easy non- CO2 tank to enjoy I really do not want to inject CO2.

One of the main issues I am having is with my Microsorum Trident which was added upon initial setup of the aquarium; I started with a large handful sized piece and smaller 3" strands of it intended to grow out and fill the empty spots but almost all of it has died, to the point where you would not have known it was ever in the tank.
The only piece I have left is the larger piece which is now a few strands struggling to grow.

I do not believe it is a result of lighting as they are in partial shade and in a bid to save some of it I placed it in my 30L which hosts a mishmash of plants and it is doing brilliantly. Does anyone have any clues what this could be?

I am planning on completely re starting the aquarium as I am very fed up of the way it turned out and frankly due to bad planning, placement and not having enough time with not being home the tank looks awful.

If anyone knows why the trident is doing so bad, please let me know?

Thanks,
Ryan

Maybe one of the plant experts will come in on this Ryan,but more details about your tank would help. It's just my opinion but not running CO2 would not be a issue as such as its all the Microsorum species are described as easy. Presuming it's with the rhyzone above substrate in the water flow. If you do start again use a soil substrate as explained in the tutorials The Soil Substrate and Dirt Planted--

Hi, sorry perhaps I was a little vague.
I am actually using a soil substrate and the rhyzome is above substrate; I am running Fluval's Aqualife and Plant LED, the tank is a Fluval F90 (130L) and am using a Fluval 306, I am not sure whether to upgrade to a 406 as the flow is quite low.
I have recently added an interpet Airvolution 3 to help oxygenate the water and it is doing a good job doing. After a water change last week I think the algae is no longer growing and it is now just a case of cleaning things up a little.

just a guess, the lighting is probably too powerful for it; I don't know the specs on the Fluval aqualife, but I'm guessing its high. I always got best results with trident and anubias in A) low light B) planted very densely to uptake nutrients, battle algae etc. Perhaps more shade is needed, floating plants are your friend in this scenario

Back