• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amano shrimp preying on Otto's?!

I have to say that I have kept amanos in many different situations and I have never experienced the situation in the video so don't be throwing the baby out with the bath water just yet. They are very useful in cleaning up aquariums, not so much the algae as they will definitely fill up on food before grazing on Algae but they get at food that's got stuck under plants and in nooks and crannies with other wise would sit festering in the tank.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

The video wasn't mine BTW I actually came across it in the UKAPS forum looking for something else. I've never personally seen an Amano attack anything. I did have a couple of small ember tetra go missing but I was also running a surface skimmer which is notorious for sucking up fish. Didn't find them in the filter so jury is out.

Can't really get into the psychology of Amano, it is an opportunistic feeder so it will eat anything that it can get its hands on as long as it provides a source of energy. Makes me wonder if the ones in the video have at some point stumbled across an ill Otto that was dying anyway and managed to over come it and they now see ottos as worth a try. Some sort of trigger.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

this doesn't surprise me, in fact I've said many times before I'm surprised at the low numbers of people witnessing this; when I visit my local P&H I can glance into tanks with amano's and 95% of the time see aggressive behaviour

I've had 200 Amano shrimp at one time and in one tank with fish - never saw behaviour this extreme. To be fair though, they don't have razor blades for pinchers so aside from a little fin damage I doubt they could do much more serious. I'd be more concerned at the stress levels in the fish being molested lol

my cherry shrimp were eaten by amanos, or by one rogue amano. I saw it.
If they can catch it, why not? They don't know it's "wrong".

Never seen this in any of my previous tanks.
The first batch of Amano shrimp and Otto's went into my newly cycled 200L planted tank yesterday (10 Amano & 9 Otto).
Currently, the Amano's are busy cleaning any algae from rocks and the grass and the Otto's are very active swimming from area to area on the tank sides
Will keep an eye on them as they settle in.
21729002_1433629496723831_3212028247285399841_o.jpg

Al

Back