• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hardscape for a 360ltr tank.

HenrySheehan

Hi, just looking for some feedback on my hardscape layout. It's seiryu stone and I'm going to have carpeted plants at the front and middle with some vals etc along the back and maybe some java fern at the sides.
Tank is 140cm×60W×45H.
84fcc4903c14ff0a218bafb22f5f3ec6.jpg
d9a33b91f5d238dab0c0b305ee0d169f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi, nice project!
Maybe if you make two groups of rocks, one bigger on a side and a smaller one to the other side, this can open many opportunities for planting, keeping some open spaces and a a nice path between them. Just an opinion.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'm not under any time constraints so trying out many different shapes.

Building a new house at the moment and won't be moving in till Nov/Dec. I'll be placing it in where my stove was supposed to be going. Who needs a stove eh!!
532dfe76fee6160f15affbc8dd82a4f5.jpg

I think you're on the right track but might have a few too many stones. Try to keep things going at the same angle and repositioning stones that dont fit well (or remove them?)!

Looks promising. I don't think you have to many stones.

Maybe try to create a path on a focal point with the stones to give a nice depth feeling.

To create more depth you could also try to use the bigger stones at front and the smaller ones in the back. Put the main stone more in front and try to create a shade spot on it.

Avoid from left to the right rock placement. Which you didn't good job! Work from front to back.

OK guys so this is my latest attempt.
I tried to incorporate all the advice given. Created a path, big stones to the front, all angled same way and two different groups.
f040da5584752c0d9a4a371cf52c985a.jpg
a51c4f0b96ee746ece668877a1b9d142.jpg

Don't know about that. Will leave it more or less like that and may make a few changes in time. See how it grows on me.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'm not under any time constraints so trying out many different shapes.

Building a new house at the moment and won't be moving in till Nov/Dec. I'll be placing it in where my stove was supposed to be going. Who needs a stove eh!!
532dfe76fee6160f15affbc8dd82a4f5.jpg

Is thats a very slender looking concrete lintol supporting a chimney? Nice neat DPM work. :)

ust looking for some feedback on my hardscape layout.
You really need a few more bigger stones in a large tank, they will add impact and create tension...it's really just a question of scale
Is thats a very slender looking concrete lintol supporting a chimney?
Blimey...it looks like it's bowing under the stress already:eek:

Ya I really feel that the big stone is just way out of proportion to the rest of them. Even just one stone 3/4 the size of that big one would do.

I must take a look at that tmw. Ye have me worried now!! I'm hoping it's just the angle

OK ok, so here's my latest effort. I'm actually happy with this. I think it's my best yet and gives a good sense of depth that my other attempts lacked.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

c9080686b66504b572f6f35844ea8019.jpg
0caa04716921ef7ed306fc54a1a46e18.jpg
9653ce9efffdd76aa48652bece6e00c1.jpg

Looks nice!
Now, it all depends of the kind of plants will be placed between the stones!
In my opinion, try not to cover stones too much. Stones look great!

Ya I paid too much to be covering them fully lol. I've made some slight changes. Wife wasn't fully convinced!!
I'll be growing HC and DHG. Will grow some vals in the background then. These are the changes I (we) made.
9ecd53d9381818a7f36dd17bb4c50d58.jpg
edc23b38d9b67278bf0ebe540acacbfe.jpg

Hi guys.

Finally decided on this scape. Looked into getting a few bigger stones as Tim advised but couldn't get my hands on any I liked.

What do ye think?
006c10952c2d5f93e241a8cb7471bc8a.jpg

I like the evolution of your attempts - the latest one is definitely better than what you had before! I think you should google Iwagumi scapes and really study why they work so well - I always have picture references of tanks I love when I work on mine!

Cheers Doubu.

I feel with the rocks I have that the last one is definitely along the lines of how it'll look when finished.

I've been lucky in so far as I've had several months to try out different scapes and see how I like them after a few days and make changes along the way. But soon I'll have to make a final decision and pull the trigger. Gulp!!

Back