• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What my angels are doing?

Oh an P.S.
- I expect you have a weak light going at night, so parents can actually see their fry and take care of them.....

Happy to hear your breeding pair is improving each time......as long as they get better each time, there is hope they will finally success!
It is not unusual, that a pair that loose their eggs will spawn again within few weeks (sometimes days).Often a male will choose a different female, if unseccessfull several times ( if another female is present, ofcourse).
It is also very common, that even a successfull breeding pair will eat their fry, if the number is very low - and then use the gained energy to begin a new batch.....hopefully getting more offspring, thereby spreading their genes more.
It is unlikely, that your filter is the course of larvae on a leaf disappearing. They are actually attached by a small string of "glue" - re-attaching every time the parents pick them up for cleaning. I am sure parents ate them. When fry become free swimming, though, they are defenitely in danger from a strong filter. A sponge in front of in-let will safeguard the fry. Personally I usually shift to air-stone-flow for the first weeks of free swimming fry. Good waterchanges in short intervals will secure clean water anyway (fry do not care about high visualibility, though, their natural habitat is tea-coloured water. I have raised fry in serious green-water-algae tanks).
This is exact my case Mick.Dk,
Finally they succeeded after 4-5 failures, 200-300 eggs finally hatched 50-60 only remaining all fungus infected and parents ate them. Your water changes trick helped me much, I almost changed 50% water every couple of days and will continue..

Wow the parents are very committed to raise their fry, today they dont bother to eat when I fed them, the fry is free swimming today. Yesterday when they are still attached, parents ate well.

I have a fine sponge at inlet and wont allow the fry to be sucked in. I dont mind chnging to a hang on or air driven filter but I dont want to kill my BB established over a year in my Eheim, is it ok just to leave the Eheim as it is or suggest to reduce the flow to half? Its a pro3 350(2073).

Poor parents are spending great deal of energy to constantly picking the fry and return to a safe zone. Great parenting...
19df3f0ce67b9e26aa50c3bbc75fb776.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

Good to see success, finally.
Remember to feed "the kids" very well with the Artemia.........preferably 3 times spread over the time, ligjts are fully on.
It is really important, fry is eating all they possibly can, to develop their full potential. If they for some reason get a stop in growth at this stage......they will never fully recover, resulting in weaker and less vital fish.
Also give good space and water-quality at all times, during growing up. "Stacking" fry too close will result in stunted fins, among other things. A good oxygenation of water is important. Too high "stacking" and poor oxygenation will result in gill-plates not developing well, so pink of gills will be visual - a condition that will never correct as fish grow up.
Finally: at some time, fry will likely start to eat away fins of parents.....this is the time for "kids to move from home"........... ;)

Good to see success, finally.
Remember to feed "the kids" very well with the Artemia.........preferably 3 times spread over the time, ligjts are fully on.
It is really important, fry is eating all they possibly can, to develop their full potential. If they for some reason get a stop in growth at this stage......they will never fully recover, resulting in weaker and less vital fish.
Also give good space and water-quality at all times, during growing up. "Stacking" fry too close will result in stunted fins, among other things. A good oxygenation of water is important. Too high "stacking" and poor oxygenation will result in gill-plates not developing well, so pink of gills will be visual - a condition that will never correct as fish grow up.
Finally: at some time, fry will likely start to eat away fins of parents.....this is the time for "kids to move from home"........... ;)
Thanks for the tips...will be helpful down the road for sure.

Unfortunately I lost all the fry mysteriously over a weeks span. Cant figure out the reason. Suspect two possibilities

-Lack of nutritional food
-too strong filter

Food, due to some health issues in the family and relatives travelling arrangements, I could not prepare the artemia when they needed in the first week. They are fed with hikari first bites instead. I noticed their bellies turned brown after feeding and took that as an indication for the next feeding time 5-6 times in a day. Their bellies turned clear when they consumed all the food.

Filter, I reduced the flow by half by changing the filter from eheim 2073 to eheim professional first version 700lph, 2073 is now acting like a pre filter with the media spread into all the baskets evenly... with two more filter pads water is cleaner now. During the night I turn on a small 1ft light away from the filter inlet so they gather below the light before they sleep. The light covers only half of the tank as its densly planted in the middle. During night I didnt see them in the light, must be sleeping in dark area, obviously closer to filter inlet. By every night, the number reduced by half. I suspected filter in sucking and opened the filter but only found 3 fry, one live two dead.

**How do you all raise fry with canister filter? I have sponge at inlet that is tight and covers all the slots of inlet. I bought an air driven filter but worry about BB and not used it.

**Is artemia a must to raise the babies? I just started my first batch and learning now.. may be by next batch I can provide them live artemia.

Appreciate any help...
fdf72f05e19775896fda7c9fdd45a4a9.jpg
060492450d812e80fcf558f004af7c2f.jpg

I have two breeding pairs of angels - breeding in the sense they lay eggs regularly, but non-breeding in the sense that neither pair seems to have the right genes for proper parenting behaviour for the whole duration. I have a 12 year old daughter who shares the hobby with me, so a year ago, having watched them screw up the process a dozen times or more, we decided to raise a batch of fry artificially just so she could see the fry grow out. I got breeder boxes to hang outside the tank and just cut off the leaf they had laid eggs on. This worked extremely well and I would say about 90% of free swimming fry made it to be taken to our LFS for store credit. This did involve getting hold of another four two foot tanks just to have the water volume for them to grow out in - that was a LOT of work!

Having done it once with both pairs I won't do it again, because I'm uncomfortable with spreading more fish without parenting genes in the hobby. Conversely in the future I would love to get hold of a true breeding pair and consolidate that behaviour because I think it would be as desirable to some hobbyists who like myself think its at least as important as how the fish looks if not more.

That all said, the most critical reason why the breeder boxes work so well is that the fry can easily find their food, in a relatively small space its always pretty close to them. They also benefit from having a relatively huge body of water cycling through the box with a powerful filter without any of the down sides: You can do huge water changes on the main tank without stressing the fry.

If I were to try it in a larger tank, the intake sponge is a must of course, but I would also pretty much cover the bottom in leaves (almond/oak) and java moss to make as much infusoria available as possible. Also in a larger tank where the fry have to actively hunt for food who have to work to get the food delivered to where the fry are. Directing a turkey baster squirt helps, but also in a dense layer of moss and leaf litter, it can also work to try a daphnia culture - the adults are too large for fry but you can sieve them out to make more daphnia and just put the tiny daphnia in. The huge advantage of this is that they won't die off in a few hours like BBS and may even continue to live for days until the fry or parents find them, meaning your water quality isnt being trashed by BBS die off.

Conversely I now keep my angels in their community tanks at quite low temps (24-25˚C) to slow down the breeding cycle and the aggression that come with it. This has helped to thicken up and grow the females who would otherwise expend all their energy on egg production. If I see signs that they may make it a few steps further in the parenting process then I'll be delighted but now they're about 3 years old this is pretty unlikely I believe.

Hope that helps :)

The Hikari-food I know of is for Koi-carps and based on wheat-grains=> plants. I would expect the fry of Scalare to need their animal-based food => Artemia.
In principle you can probaply use most crustations of acfeptable size........but Artemia is really by far the easiest to handle. Being salt-water based also eliminates risk of introducing "bad things" like parasites and the like. It does pollute water quite heavily, which must be counter-worked by water-changes. Growing up a batch of fry is - like said - really a lot of work........bit it is also a lot of fun and satisfaction.
- so in essense; yes - angel-fry do need their artemia as a starter-food. The artemia has a salry taste, which can create aversion to less salty food later in life. Therefore it is a good idea to "sneak in" a bit of very finely crushed, standard flakes at every serving of artemia. Fry will then usually get to eat this too.

Too high "stacking" and poor oxygenation will result in gill-plates not developing well, so pink of gills will be visual - a condition that will never correct as fish grow up.

The "too high stacking", you meant "staggnated" or something about having too much oxygen in the water?

The "too high stacking", you meant "staggnated" or something about having too much oxygen in the water?
I think Mick was talking about there being not ENOUGH oxygen in the water as a consequence of there being too many fry in too small a volume of water. When we did it, through two batches of fry, after they outgrew the breeder boxes and were transferred to grow out tanks, I was massively over-filtering, doing 50% water changes daily and feeding BBS 3 to 4 times a day. There was also a ton of java moss and frogbit in all the tanks - which (with the benefit of hindsight) was probably the most important factor in getting all 200 odd to a decent size without the stunted finnage or other problems I so commonly see in commercially bred angels. I credit the ammonia take up of floating plants with this success

My previous comment, which I now realise was not clearly written, was speculation as to how I might approach trying to raise angel fry WITH their parents, translating my experience with various apistogramma sp. back to p.scalare. i.e. java moss and leaf litter and something for them to feed on throughout the day - rather than the fry binge feeding on BBS. With my current batch of cacatuoides raised in heavily planted tanks I've hardly used BBS, using vinegar eels initially and then Walter, Micro and Banana worms until they were big enough to take various frozen foods as well.

I have two breeding pairs of angels - breeding in the sense they lay eggs regularly, but non-breeding in the sense that neither pair seems to have the right genes for proper parenting behaviour for the whole duration. I have a 12 year old daughter who shares the hobby with me, so a year ago, having watched them screw up the process a dozen times or more, we decided to raise a batch of fry artificially just so she could see the fry grow out. I got breeder boxes to hang outside the tank and just cut off the leaf they had laid eggs on. This worked extremely well and I would say about 90% of free swimming fry made it to be taken to our LFS for store credit. This did involve getting hold of another four two foot tanks just to have the water volume for them to grow out in - that was a LOT of work!

Having done it once with both pairs I won't do it again, because I'm uncomfortable with spreading more fish without parenting genes in the hobby. Conversely in the future I would love to get hold of a true breeding pair and consolidate that behaviour because I think it would be as desirable to some hobbyists who like myself think its at least as important as how the fish looks if not more.

That all said, the most critical reason why the breeder boxes work so well is that the fry can easily find their food, in a relatively small space its always pretty close to them. They also benefit from having a relatively huge body of water cycling through the box with a powerful filter without any of the down sides: You can do huge water changes on the main tank without stressing the fry.

If I were to try it in a larger tank, the intake sponge is a must of course, but I would also pretty much cover the bottom in leaves (almond/oak) and java moss to make as much infusoria available as possible. Also in a larger tank where the fry have to actively hunt for food who have to work to get the food delivered to where the fry are. Directing a turkey baster squirt helps, but also in a dense layer of moss and leaf litter, it can also work to try a daphnia culture - the adults are too large for fry but you can sieve them out to make more daphnia and just put the tiny daphnia in. The huge advantage of this is that they won't die off in a few hours like BBS and may even continue to live for days until the fry or parents find them, meaning your water quality isnt being trashed by BBS die off.

Conversely I now keep my angels in their community tanks at quite low temps (24-25˚C) to slow down the breeding cycle and the aggression that come with it. This has helped to thicken up and grow the females who would otherwise expend all their energy on egg production. If I see signs that they may make it a few steps further in the parenting process then I'll be delighted but now they're about 3 years old this is pretty unlikely I believe.

Hope that helps :)

Thank you JMorgan,

:) Yes, One thing I relate to me from your long reply is, "LOT of work" I understand and prepared for it. :)

you hang your breeder boxes inside the tank or outside the tank?

our ambient temp is around 28-29C, may be its the reason for their breeding behaviour.
They already started to clean the pipe again,

Artemia also hatched overnight may be around 12-16 hrs, by next morning I can see 10-20% swimming.
next batch onwards I can feed the fry with Artemia.

Is there a way to breed them successfully in a planted tank with Aquasoil?
I have a spare sponge filter and circulation pumps too

The Hikari-food I know of is for Koi-carps and based on wheat-grains=> plants. I would expect the fry of Scalare to need their animal-based food => Artemia.
In principle you can probaply use most crustations of acfeptable size........but Artemia is really by far the easiest to handle. Being salt-water based also eliminates risk of introducing "bad things" like parasites and the like. It does pollute water quite heavily, which must be counter-worked by water-changes. Growing up a batch of fry is - like said - really a lot of work........bit it is also a lot of fun and satisfaction.
- so in essense; yes - angel-fry do need their artemia as a starter-food. The artemia has a salry taste, which can create aversion to less salty food later in life. Therefore it is a good idea to "sneak in" a bit of very finely crushed, standard flakes at every serving of artemia. Fry will then usually get to eat this too.

Now I know how to prepare artemia,
Planning to turn the filter off during feeding, Lets see how it goes.
Thanks..

Hi Madhav

The breeder boxes I used hang outside the tank, this makes observation very easy. As it happened my daughter is very into Warhammer models and I'd bought her a set of modeller's magnifying glasses for her birthday. These are fantastic for observing the fry.

Though they come setup to be air driven, (i.e. its air that lifts the water into the box and then the water overflows back into the main tank) I found this was very noisy, especially with two of them. I got a cheap micro-pump and used 8mm tubing to pump the water in, which was almost silent. Even such a tiny pump was too powerful so I added a third outlet to reduce flow, directing the water back to the main tank and allow for fine adjustment of the flow through the boxes. I'd also just switch the pump off for 15 minutes when I fed them.

If the desired outcome is to raise maximum numbers of fry then they are very effective, however I'd prefer to see the parenting behaviour in future as I said before.

Yes your high ambient temperature will definitely cause higher rates of breeding behaviour, you might want to deliberately allow them a cool down period during the winter - mine are quite happy at 23/24 ˚C and after about a year the females are noticeably bigger when I'd previously thought them fully grown because the frequency of egg laying is much less.

Be careful with your artemia - you will get quick hatching at 28/9˚C but I've read the batch can crash if it goes too much over 30˚C. Always have a back up ready.

I breed my apistos in planted tanks with various substrates: one sand, one Eco-complete (rubbish substrate btw) and one soil/walstad/dirted with gravel cap. Angels just need more space I would think: For example with one pair the male is so furiously protective of the eggs that he chases the female away - in a smaller tank I think he'd do her serious harm, but because she has dense plants to hide in out of sight three feet away, she's OK. Again with true parenting behaviour this should not be an issue and I know angel breeders use smaller tanks so as to make the feeding of the fry and the cleaning /water changes easier, but these are mostly bare-bottomed with maybe some java moss thrown in. They will also usually remove the parents after a while since once the pair start another breeding cycle their own fry become just another food source. It's critically important to think ahead and have a ton of hiding space and probably - even with good parents - some grow out tanks. Lastly remember that angels who are well conditioned can produce 300 to 500 eggs - if you successfully raise that kind of number who need to have a plan as to what the hell you're going to do with them!! :)

I'm grateful I "only" had 200 to deal with!

Hi Madhav

The breeder boxes I used hang outside the tank, this makes observation very easy. As it happened my daughter is very into Warhammer models and I'd bought her a set of modeller's magnifying glasses for her birthday. These are fantastic for observing the fry.

Though they come setup to be air driven, (i.e. its air that lifts the water into the box and then the water overflows back into the main tank) I found this was very noisy, especially with two of them. I got a cheap micro-pump and used 8mm tubing to pump the water in, which was almost silent. Even such a tiny pump was too powerful so I added a third outlet to reduce flow, directing the water back to the main tank and allow for fine adjustment of the flow through the boxes. I'd also just switch the pump off for 15 minutes when I fed them.

If the desired outcome is to raise maximum numbers of fry then they are very effective, however I'd prefer to see the parenting behaviour in future as I said before.

Yes your high ambient temperature will definitely cause higher rates of breeding behaviour, you might want to deliberately allow them a cool down period during the winter - mine are quite happy at 23/24 ˚C and after about a year the females are noticeably bigger when I'd previously thought them fully grown because the frequency of egg laying is much less.

Be careful with your artemia - you will get quick hatching at 28/9˚C but I've read the batch can crash if it goes too much over 30˚C. Always have a back up ready.

I breed my apistos in planted tanks with various substrates: one sand, one Eco-complete (rubbish substrate btw) and one soil/walstad/dirted with gravel cap. Angels just need more space I would think: For example with one pair the male is so furiously protective of the eggs that he chases the female away - in a smaller tank I think he'd do her serious harm, but because she has dense plants to hide in out of sight three feet away, she's OK. Again with true parenting behaviour this should not be an issue and I know angel breeders use smaller tanks so as to make the feeding of the fry and the cleaning /water changes easier, but these are mostly bare-bottomed with maybe some java moss thrown in. They will also usually remove the parents after a while since once the pair start another breeding cycle their own fry become just another food source. It's critically important to think ahead and have a ton of hiding space and probably - even with good parents - some grow out tanks. Lastly remember that angels who are well conditioned can produce 300 to 500 eggs - if you successfully raise that kind of number who need to have a plan as to what the hell you're going to do with them!! :)

I'm grateful I "only" had 200 to deal with!

JMorgan,
I understand your concern on the high number of fry to take care, but the way its going on with my pair, I am expecting less than 100 fry to take care, and do not know how many will reach adulthood.
I can give those away for free to fellow hobbyists.

the last fry disappeared 4 days ago and last night they already prepared next batch. this time they might be trying the luck in different direction, laid the eggs on opposite side
zLUK5NP.jpg

I will turn off eheim and install a sponge filter,
slowly remove all the soil and plants and make it bare with sponge filter in one to two weeks time and see how it goes
I am ready with all the set up for Artemia...fingures crossed.

thanks,
Madhav

no - I mean you should not be tempted to put too many fish in too little water, even if you do a lot of water-changes (really should be self-evident). The fry will grow surprisingly fast and therefore need surprisingly lot of space in surprisingly short time.
When I grow more than a thousaind fry at one time (to get many fish with recessive, genetic colours for creating good breading pairs) it really does take A LOT of water-volume.......:confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: xim
@Mick.Dk & JMorgan, thanks for your valuable input...

Finally this round I made some fry survive, out of 200+ fry, now 40+ survived.
The fry is 10 days old. How long I need to prepare Artemia for the fry?
they are all eating well and we can see their bellies are about to burst after each feeding session. feeding 3 times a day. every now and then i introduce Hikari first bites powder but they seem not interested.
Changing water 50% every day to clear the dead Artemia from the tank and give them optimum conditions to grow well.
currently running with two sponge filters, going to start the canister soon.
I am done with the challenge. No more Fry, No more Aretmia. Though its fun, its too much of work I can handle, Now I know.

May be one last round, I will hatch them artificially and try to raise them in an over hanging breeder box, easier to feed. Just to see the survival rate.

Congratulations - success often comes to those persistent and willing to learn:clap:.
I usually feed Artemia for 4 - 6 weeks......sometimes longer. It really make the fry eat all they possibly can, thereby growing all they possibly can. If fry does not start to eat "dead food" voluntarily after about 6 weeks, I slowly decrease amount of Artemia and increase amount of "dead food"............hunger will enevitably convince the kids to eat it.
- and you are right; it is a lot of work, breeding angelfish fry to make good quality adults.....and the real reward is your personal satisfaction (which is not the worst reward, after all ;)!!)

I think now is the time to separate fry and parents..I noticed some fry are too hungry and started nipping parents.
They are close to a month old. I will train them for dead food and give away around 2-3 months old....
Hungry monsters, they are...

Will they start next batch in a weeks time if I removed all the fty?

remove them and feed them brine shrimp nauplii and crushed granules - the chances are the parents will try to spawn quite quickly

Back