• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cryptocoryne Wabi-Kusa

Tim Harrison

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Started to break down my current scape https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/windswept-eternity.37490/page-19 and have transplanted the crypts growing emersed on top of the stump to make a Wabi-Kusa.
There's also some Ludwigia sp Mini Super Red, Rotala rotundifolia, Christmas moss, and HC Cuba in there too.
All grown in Tropica Plant Growth Substrate. Hopefully it will fill out nicely:)

34550911036_1930d3de81_c.jpg

Tim this looks great!

How did you go about acclimating the plants? You say they were already adapted. I previously tried my emersed plants in a WK but think humidity had too great an effect on them. Keep it up

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

First update...the plants seem to have settled in well. Some of the older leaves are a bit ropey but the new leaves coming through are very healthy, so I'm guessing that the level of humidity inside is acceptable. The Ludwigia seems to love the conditions; it's going to need trimming soon.

34443222474_167db996e1_c.jpg

35246648476_bd6ffe5b5a_c.jpg

First update...the plants seem to have settled in well. Some of the older leaves are a bit ropey but the new leaves coming through are very healthy, so I'm guessing that the level of humidity inside is acceptable. The Ludwigia seems to love the conditions; it's going to need trimming soon.

34443222474_167db996e1_c.jpg

35246648476_bd6ffe5b5a_c.jpg

Did you just use substrate or a wabi kusa ball for the bedding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the Crypts are in a DIY W-K ball buried in the substrate but it's made of the same stuff as the rest of the substrate - Tropica Plant Growth Substrate - so I doubt very much it matters.
I planted it like that because it was convenient to do so and I didn't want to disturb the established roots.
Originally it was placed on top of a stump in my scape Windswept Eternity...Scroll to post 404 https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/windswept-eternity.37490/page-21

upload_2017-6-14_8-59-33.png

Hi Tim!

Very nice project. I have one but only with grass type of plants. One question, with your permission :
Did you get entire Ludwigia from the water or only emersed part of it?

Thanks, I got the Ludwigia from the emersed part. But I don't think it'd matter too much, it's a weed and an opportunist so I reckon it'd adapt pretty quickly either way.

Thanks lee, not so good it's kinda hanging there; it's being shaded out and doesn't get enough light. All things being equal tho' it'd take over, it usually does extremely well grown out of water.

Hi Tim,

Looks awesome! Going to give this a try myself.

Can I ask what sort of light you are using with this? Possibly the IKEA 2W LED lamp?

Thanks

Will.

Back