• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New filter or old

robs.2000

Seedling
Dear scapers,

I'm new to this forum and just embarking on my planted aquarium hobby. My question to you is this; Are there any risks of contamination or spread of disease from using a second hand external filter with new media or is there a way of sterilizing the pipe work and pump etc?

Thanks in advance
robs.2000

If all is dry, little chance of contamination, provided filter sponges are not caked in gunge which will rot once in water.

If worried wash everything with hot water and fairy liquid. Don't let the other half catch you using the washing up brush though. :oops:

Rinse thoroughly and use.

Can also use diluted bleach, works well. Wash thoroughly after bleaching and if you want to rinse/soak in water & Prime dechlorinator to remove any residual chlorine

Sterilising no, disinfection yes. I would use Miltons ( the stuff parents use for baby's bottles) in warm water, But like you said new media. There will still be risks but using miltons will greatly reduce the chances. Having a tank with healthy bacteria is the best defence against disease.

Great stuff thank you for the rapid replies I did wonder if Milton would do the trick or not. I'm just being a bit of a cheapskate, I know really I should just buy a new one.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

There is noo reason why you cant buy and use an used one... I bought few used ones and they work great. But I dont take risk with media, always I use my own media...

The amount you saved may fetch you a new light or half a light. Hehe

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

Thanks to all for the replies. I've opted for a new Ehiem Ecco pro 300. As I think filtration is key I want to give my new tank the best chamce of success. All the best. Cheers

Thanks for the heads up. Its a new product to me so any advice is greatly appreciated. Fortunately I'm mechanically minded so if something doesnt physically feel right it'll get a closer look.

I had the 300 until very recently, and I loved the filter. I agree that handle needs careful ... handling(!) but I actually found it really useful for carrying to and from the sink for maintenance, really clever filter baskets and stacked to the gills with media all for 8 watts - gutted that it didn't have the flow I needed and they don't do a bigger one! I have now got the Pro 4 600 but actually preferred the Ecco...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up. Its a new product to me so any advice is greatly appreciated. Fortunately I'm mechanically minded so if something doesnt physically feel right it'll get a closer look.

Most problems are due to user failure to distinguish the difference between the resistance offered by the filter, either by the o-ring which is good and normal or by the misalignment.
If you are careful and verify proper alignment twice, its an awesome filter..

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

Back