• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish room insulation

Yes I would say internal insulation is better but that is just an opinion.

To some extent you are right about condensation, it's caused by moist air hitting a cold surface.
The nearer the room temperature is to the tank temperature the less evaporation occurs & by heating the room you have a sort of "Reverse Evaporation" as the tank takes up the heat from the room.

I live in an old cottage, open fires & storage heaters for heating.
I have a tank in the house & in the summer I have very little heat loss from the tank, if any!
In winter over a couple of days I can see the drop in water level due to evaporation.
But there's a + we have less dust in winter!:)

I keep Discus & store the water-change RO water in the room in an auto fill butt. By heating the room the water is nearly up to temperature at each water change.

Many thanks for this further info and advice, most appreciative. Will give it a go and let you know.

I was wondering whether there was any point adding a fan for better air flow to reduce condensation, but presume this might be counter productive with increasing evaporation and not reducing condensation ?

I was wondering whether there was any point adding a fan for better air flow to reduce condensation, but presume this might be counter productive with increasing evaporation and not reducing condensation ?

Here's my thoughts but I must add it is only my opinions, I don't have the education to say for sure.

Air flow in the room will add to the condensation if your tanks are warmer then room temperature, bit like blowing on a cup of coffee.
It's ventilation that will possibly help to prevent condensation but as ventilation will drop your room temperature it will increase the moisture in the air from the extra evaporation, a sort of "Catch 22"

For information:
Our temperature today is 26c so I have the fish room doors open to ventilate the room.

ok we are starting to get close to winter here in the Cape rather than autumn so a nip in the air at night with temps dropping to 10C at a push, so not too bad. Trying to keep fish room temp at about 22C, tank heaters currently off and no condensation on the ceiling yet so your theory is looking good !
Will keep fan off then !
Of course in summer its the opposite with the aircon working full tilt trying to keep temp at 24C for the shrimp and being well into the 30s outside..

Oh I'd forgotten how "Cold" it gets at the Cape in winter! ;):confused::cool:

Circa 1970 ish!!
Honest!
168428_10150093682182917_3243688_n.jpg

Great pic down memory royal navy lane !

How does that song go again .. Mad Dogs and Englishmen go out in the Midday Sun or into the snow wearing a T-shirt ! :)

Great pic down memory royal navy lane !

How does that song go again .. Mad Dogs and Englishmen go out in the Midday Sun or into the snow wearing a T-shirt ! :)

I thought it was more like:

Ag Pleez Deddy won't you take us to the fun-fair
We wanna have a ride on the bumper-cars
We'll buy a stick of candy floss
And eat it on the Octopus
Then we'll take the rocket ship that goes to Mars

Popcorn, chewing gum, peanuts an' bubble gum
Ice cream, candy floss an' Eskimo Pie
Ag Deddy how we miss
***** balls an' licorice
Pepsi Cola, ginger beer
And Canada Dry