• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rummy nose vs cardinals Iwagumi

Nigel95

Hey first I was 100% sure about cardinals. Then I read they don't school thight so the choice went for rummy nose. Now people tell me my tank wouln't be enough colourfull without the cardinals. The rummy nose school tight + less distraction from the rocks which suits better for an Iwagumi. But the colours of cardinals are lovely but more distraction. hmmmm......

What do you think? Let me know ;)

My tank

I would go for cardinals.... If u want tightly schooling fish then Pristilla maxilaris u can consider as well ..;...

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Against white or light colored background,I too would choose cardinal tetra's.

Threadfin Rainbow's might be consideration?

Hi all,
Then I read they don't school thight so the choice went for rummy nose. Now people tell me my tank wouln't be enough colourfull without the cardinals. The rummy nose school tight + less distraction from the rocks which suits better for an Iwagumi.
All Tetras only school tightly when they are stressed. For any small fish an iwagumi with little cover and no floating plants is a stressful environment.

cheers Darrel

Rummy nose can be plant nippers and imo perhaps a little big for that scape/tank :)

Red embers shoal nicely and are a bit more original than the ubiquitous cardinal.
I started off with 20 in my big tank they have now multiplied to over 70..

I'm on board with Darrel,fishes mostly school tightly out of fear of predation by other fishes.
Safety in number's, where it makes it more difficult for larger fish to single out one or two.
In a suitable environment,with no fear of becoming lunch, they are likely to swim in all area's rather than tight group.
With this said,,the rummy nose are more likely to travel together than other species.
For color, still like the cardinal's in group of a dozen or more if size of tank permit's.
I also agree with Darrel on floating cover.
I run open top tank's and have noted fewer fishes jumping from the tank with some floating cover.

Last edited:
Hi
I will suggest if you are adding amanos to wait till the carpet is established well as they will move substrate and even the slope out
Regards Konsa

Hi
Yes they are the ultimate cleaner.
I like them a lot.The only thing with them is they are not like the other lil shrimps. Once matured they need feeding as if they starve they start munching on plants, mosses.I had thought about leaving them on diatom diet at one time and they eat my riccardia and all the Lobelia cardinalis mini particular favourite of one of them left only stems with not a single leaf left on it in 2 days in a small tank of mine.
Regards Konsa

Hi
Yes they are the ultimate cleaner.
I like them a lot.The only thing with them is they are not like the other lil shrimps. Once matured they need feeding as if they starve they start munching on plants, mosses.I had thought about leaving them on diatom diet at one time and they eat my riccardia and all the Lobelia cardinalis mini particular favourite of one of them left only stems with not a single leaf left on it in 2 days in a small tank of mine.
Regards Konsa

Damn that sounds bad. So far they have not been eating mine carpet plants in my nano. Waiting till the grass is fully carpet is gonna take a long time.... I was thinking about releasing the amano's right after the tank is cycled.

Hi
They may not bother with the plants in your tank.Mine amanos are couple of years old in shrimp only tank that i din't fed for weeke when I had diatoms hoping they will sort them.It was only then they had a go with the greens.But they will move the soil thats for sure
Anyway every tank is different and you may have different experience. I thought I will share mine to save you some possible issues in future.I think Zeus on here has 500l tank with Amanos in and in his tread" Olympus 500l is calling" page 5 you can cleary see the soil displacement he had cause of them
All the best with the scape
Regards Konsa

Hi
They may not bother with the plants in your tank.Mine amanos are couple of years old in shrimp only tank that i din't fed for weeke when I had diatoms hoping they will sort them.It was only then they had a go with the greens.But they will move the soil thats for sure
Anyway every tank is different and you may have different experience. I thought I will share mine to save you some possible issues in future.I think Zeus on here has 500l tank with Amanos in and in his tread" Olympus 500l is calling" page 5 you can cleary see the soil displacement he had cause of them
All the best with the scape
Regards Konsa

No worries Thanks for keeping the heads up.

I would say the tank is too small for rummy nose, why not look at boraras or rasboras, you could probably stock 30+ of these tiny micro fish, again they only really school tightly when spooked

Back